Wednesday, August 5, 2015

The Camping Trip (Chapter 3)

Later, after everybody set up their tents properly, the teens were instructed by the ranger to gather some sticks to help make a fire. So the boys and girls traveled into the woods to find sticks and other materials like rocks. Andrea gathered a pile of sticks all by herself from the woods and set them down on a plastic table so she could take a break and tie her combat boots. While she was bent down and making a bow with her shoelaces, the Cow Belles, the girls' mortal enemies, approached her. Since she was bent down, she could only see their feet.
"Hey, Andrea," called Pamela.
Andrea stood up straight. "What?" she said with an attitude.
"Haven't you heard? Short-shorts don't go well with cellulite."
"You puta! I'll--"
Andrea approached Pamela until Madeline came into action. She dropped her sticks and quickly stopped Andrea from hitting Pamela by grabbing her waist and pulling her back.
"Andrea, no!" she demanded.
The Cow Belles walked away as Madeline held onto the struggling Andrea.
"Andrea, let it go," Madeline said.
"I just hate her so much," Andrea admitted.
"It's okay. So do I. We all do. Just let it go."
"Fine." Andrea kept still, making Madeline unwrap her arms from her.
"Like Idina Menzel, let it go."
The girls collected their piles of sticks neatly and tightly grasped them in their arms. They walked over to the pile of sticks on the ground that everyone was instructed to place their materials. The girls dropped their sticks right in the center of it. When Madeline swiped the palms of her hands together to wipe off residue, Speed came over and dropped a stick into the big pile.
"Hey," he nodded.
"Hey," Madeline smirked.
Andrea motioned her eyes at the couple individually.
Speed caught her watching. "I don't know her," he said to Andrea while pointing at Madeline.
"It doesn't seem like you do," Andrea smiled.
Speed awkwardly loitered for a moment. He then sprinted away into the boys' side of the campsite. Madeline smirked at Andrea who smiled back, choosing a smile over a giggle.
After Debra got her sticks and dropped them in the large pile, she was approached by the top ranger. She turned around to face him.
"How are you doing, Debra?" he asked.
"I'm doing fine."
"You know, I heard that you're the outdoorsy type of person. So you must be really excited to be on this trip."
"Of course. I am mega excited. Although, I know that the school hired people to cut down the trees that used to be here to make space for this campsite. That I, however, do not appreciate."
"Oh, Debra, we did that so kids like you can experience things like this to make you admire life."
"I know but you couldn't send us somewhere with a natural clearing like a meadow or Canada?"
"Sweetie, if we took y'all to Canada, that would be one long, expensive bus drive."
"I get it. A long bus drive would affect the environment anyway."
Soon, Skye walked up to the ranger after dropping off her sticks of wood. "Hey, mister, I need to take a massive leak. Where do I do that?"
"Do your leaking by a tree on your side of the site," he instructed.
"I'll try not to kill any ladybugs."
Skye walked off as Debra made a face, mostly at herself, then looked at the ranger.
"Sir, you want us to soil the trees by soiling on their soil?" she questioned.
"Don't be such a stick-in-the-mud, alright? Hey, I made a camp joke." He guffawed then walked away from Debra, who crossed her arms and sighed in frustration.
Lizzie walked up to Madeline who stopped trying to walk towards the forest for more wood. "Maddie, I think I chipped a nail."
Madeline grasped her hand to examine her manicure. "Oh, I see it. Why did you do your nails when you knew we were going camping?"
"Because I expected to go 'glamping'. You know, break a couple of rules with it to make it more 'fantabulous'."
"Who put that thought in your head?"
"Yo," Andrea raised her hand.
"What's up?" asked Lizzie.
"No, she said 'me' in Spanish," explained Madeline.
"Oh, I didn't know 'yo' was Spanish."
"Okay."
Suddenly, the three girls became eye-to-eye with the Cow Belles who walked up to them and stood two feet away from them.
"Let us sleep in your tent," commanded Mauricia.
Madeline looked at the duo up and down quickly. "No."
"Come on," said Pamela. "No one would let us sleep in theirs."
"Why didn't you bring in a tent?"
"Because it's just easier to mooch off of somebody," answered Mauricia.
"What makes you think we'll let you sleep in our tent?" asked Lizzie.
"Because you love us," Pamela responded.
"That's the opposite of how we feel about you," said Madeline.
"Why won't you let us sleep with you?" questioned Mauricia.
"Many reasons," answered Andrea. "Including that joke you made about me having cellulite."
"That wasn't a joke, sweetie," said Pamela. "That was a comment because it was true."
Skye spotted the girls chatting and walked up to her friends to learn of the fuss.
"Look, there's no way we're letting you sleep with us," said Madeline.
"What if we pay you?" asked Mauricia, pulling out a wad of money from the back pocket of her shorts.
Skye swiped the cash from her hand. "Sold."
Her friends stared at her as she flipped through the money.
Skye looked up. "What? I'm gonna split it."
Their faces relaxed and seemed more content.
"That seems fair," Madeline commented.
"Like you need the money, Miss Princess," said Andrea.
All of the girls went their separate ways with Andrea and Lizzie heading to the forest for more wood and the Cow Belles grabbed their luggage to bring to the girls' pink tent. As Lizzie split from Andrea, Andrea stopped and widened her eyes out of what seemed to be fear. Debra eventually walked over to Andrea when she glanced at her frozen.
"What's wrong?" Debra asked.
Andrea pointed. "There's a-- There's a-- A squirrel!"
Debra looked, spotting a squirrel squatting by a tree and chewing on an acorn.
"So?"
"Uh... uh..."
"Come on, Andrea. Spit it out. We're friends."
Andrea sighed. "I'm afraid of squirrels."
"What?"
"Yeah, it's true!"
"How are you -- Andrea Gonzalez, scared of nothing and no one -- scared of a harmless creature such as a squirrel?"  
"It happened when I was little. I was walking home from school on a calm day. Out of nowhere, a rabid squirrel jumped out a tree and attacked me. I was so traumatized that I told no one but my family because they had to take me to the hospital anyway. I held my breath ever since."
"Aw, that's terrible. But that was when you were a kid. You can't be still afraid of them."
"I don't know, Debbie. I just don't know."
"Hey, listen. Try to calm yourself down and don't let your fears overcome you. You overcome them. Now tell me what makes you calm."
"Well, I get chiller when I listen to 'Ain't Worried Bout Nothin'' by French Montana. It makes me... worry bout nothin', you know?"
"That's good. Maybe sing it to yourself and you might get over your fear."
"Alright. Thank you."
"No problem." Debra left to gather more sticks so she entered the forest.
Andrea took a deep breath before slowly heading towards the trees. At the corner of her eye, she could see the squirrel by the same tree. She started singing to herself quietly as she kept her distance from the small animal.
"I ain't worried bout nothin'. I ain't worried bout nothin'. I ain't worried bout nothin'."

No comments:

Post a Comment