Monday, August 17, 2015

Pump Up the Prom (Part 2) (Chapter 2)

The girls eventually got off of Skype to resume their preparation for their school prom. Madeline continued to take out the rollers in her hair and brush it afterwards. After finishing fixing her perfect curly hair by tying the top layer into a ponytail, she heard her name being called by a female voice from downstairs. She exited her bedroom into the hallway down the ageless stairs to see her twin mom in the lobby with an older, stylish woman of Asian descent holding a briefcase.
"Madeline, honey, do you know who this is?" asked her mother.
Madeline took a look at the older woman. "Our new maid?"
"No."
"Good because I like Sonya. I trust her."
"Okay. This is Lynn."
"Hi," Lynn greeted.
"Hello," Madeline responded.
"Lynn is one of the best makeup artists in California," stated Madeline's mom.
"No way."
"Way. She beautified celebrities like Kim Kardashian, Taylor Swift and Ashanti."
Madeline gasped. "I like two of those people. Can she make me look like them?"
"Madeline, she can make you look like whoever you want."
"Oh, thank you," Madeline squealed while squeezing her mother.
"Don't worry, Miss King," said Lynn. "I won't fail you. Now go upstairs."
Lynn followed Madeline upstairs into her bedroom. Madeline sat in a chair while Lynn opened her briefcase and used the makeup inside to start applying onto Madeline's clear face. While Lynn applied a primer onto the girl's eyelids, Madeline asked a question:
"Lynn, do you mind if I make a phone call?"
"Go ahead," she answered.
Madeline pulled out her cellphone from her pants' pocket and began swiping the screen with her thumb with open eyes. She dialed Terry's number; she was anxious to give him some news. She pressed the phone to her ear, waiting for him to answer.
"Hello, pretty lady," he greeted.
"Oh, stop, Terry," she smiled.
"What's going on?"
"Nothing. Actually something. I want it to be nothing but it's something."
"What's wrong?"
"Terry, before I asked you to prom, I asked someone else."
"Okay."
"He rejected me so I thought it would be okay to ask you."
"Where is this going?"
"After you said yes, Jackson -- the someone else -- said yes. And I told him, 'Okay'."
"You told him, 'Okay'?"
"It was a mistake. I'm sorry."
"It's fine. You eventually told him that you couldn't go with him?"
Madeline froze. "No."
"No?"
"That's why I'm calling you. I decided to go with him instead."
"Are you serious?"
"I did ask him first. Look, what do you want me to do?"
"Nothing. I guess I understand. I got to go. See you, Madeline."
"What happened to 'pretty lady'?"
Terry hung up. Madeline looked at the phone with regret in her eyes. She sighed then tucked the phone away in her pocket.
"Man, you screwed up big time, Madeline," Lynn commented.
"Shut up," Madeline sneered her lip. "You probably have, like, thirteen cats at home."
Lynn leered at Madeline. She took her big brush of compact powder and flicked it towards Madeline's face. Madeline barked a prolonged series of coughs inside the choking cloud of white powder. Lynn smiled while patting her brush back into the compact.  

No comments:

Post a Comment