Monday, August 10, 2015

Pump Up the Prom (Chapter 1)

Madeline entered the cafeteria a few minutes late with what seemed to be tickets in her hand. She walked up to her table and slammed the tickets down, almost surprising her girlfriends.

"Boo to the yah," she said before sitting down.

"Are those?" inquired Lizzie.

"Yep, prom tickets."

Lizzie squealed while clapping.

"We could've bought our own tickets," reminded Skye.

"I know," said Madeline. "But I wanted to make sure that we all had them."

"Oh, thanks, Maddie," smiled Debra.

"I love it when you buy us stuff," Andrea commented.

Madeline picked up the tickets and read through them. Individually, she handed one to each of her girlfriends. As she did, she said, "This one's yours, that one's yours, here you go and that's yours." She was left with one ticket. "Here's mine."

"Oh, I'm so excited for prom," confessed Lizzie. "I've been dreaming of this day since I was a child."

"Ah, prom," started Skye. "The biggest event of school in the history of events. Just weeks of allergic reactions to new makeup products, sweating in dresses that your mom wants you to wear and bruising your skin from waxes and razors. Oh, yeah, I'm so prepared."

"Orale, Tim Burton," remarked Andrea. "Why judge what you haven't experienced?"

"Because I'm not a girly girl. You guys know me."

"You're right, we do know you," said Madeline. "And you are a girly girl."

"You have no proof."

"Proof? We're your friends. We need no proof."

"Skye, you don't got to be a girly girl to enjoy prom," said Debra. "Plenty of goths go to prom."

"I am not goth," said Skye.

"But what would you rather be: a goth or a girly girl?" asked Madeline.

"Overruled."

"So a lawyer?" inquired Lizzie.

"Guys, of course I'm going to go to prom. I've never been to prom before. It's just that it shouldn't be a big deal."

"Uh, it's a pretty big deal," said Madeline. "I got to be my hottest. I don't want people to look at me and think, 'Okay.' I want them to look at me and think, 'Okay!'"

"Well, I don't care what people think."

"Is that why you dress like that?"

Skye glared at Madeline.

"I'm kidding! But if you're worried about not having a good time, ask your boyfriend to be your date."

"He is not my boyfriend."

"Oh, are we still playing this game?" asked Andrea.

"We never had talked about it."

"You probably don't have to," said Madeline. "Jeffrey probably calls you his girlfriend to his friends."

"Are you okay with that?" asked Lizzie.

"If Jeffrey thinks we're in a relationship," started Skye, "then we don't have to have the talk."

"So you want to be his girlfriend?" questioned Madeline.

"Yes but I'm not so..."

"Skye, if you like him, then like him."

"He knows I like him."

"He's just not your boyfriend?" Debra inquired.

"Right."

"Then what are you to him?" asked Andrea.

"His special friend."

"Okay, so if Jeffrey went back to Marla, would you be okay with that?" asked Lizzie.

"Of course... if he wants to die." Skye took a sip of her can of Pepsi.

"You're lucky Jeffrey can't be with Marla," said Madeline, "because she's going out with Lizzie's Hank."

"Figures," said Lizzie. "But that's okay because I'll be going with Warren to the prom."

"Did he ask you?" asked Debra.

"No, not yet. But I'll get him to."

"If you already want to go with him, why don't you ask him?" asked Andrea.

"Because it's like a marriage proposal: if he doesn't ask me, I won't get a ring."

"Is the ring the corsage?" questioned Debra.

"What's a corsage?"

"It's flowers," responded Madeline.

"Like a bouquet? Gee, I'm planning my wedding already."

No comments:

Post a Comment