Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Pump Up the Prom (Part 2) (Chapter 3)

The sun rested by the horizon and the doors at Laguna Beach High School opened for the juniors to enter for prom. The girls glamorized and beautified themselves individually, putting on their dresses before taking pictures with family members. Around seven P.M., Andrea drove to the school in her car and picked up her date, Kevin Christie, on the way there. She parked right on the side and waited for the street to be clear to get out. She hopped out of the car and closed the door; Kevin practically did the same. She sprinted around her car while putting her keys inside her sparkly gold purse which matched her short dress. Kevin, who looked dashing in a classic black suit with a red tie, walked next to Andrea as they walked towards the open doors.
"Are you sure you can walk in those heels?" Kevin asked.
"Kevin, I've been in heels for almost a year," Andrea answered. "I think I can handle them."
Once the couple was several yards away from the door, Andrea halted, making Kevin stop as well.
"Why are we stopping?" he asked.
"Because I promised the girls I would say hi to them before we go in," Andrea responded.
"Alright. You look so good in that dress."
"I know."
The couple soon spotted a silver car that came and stopped in front of the school doors. Out the front doors were Lizzie's parents and out the back doors were Lizzie and her date, Warren Kerr. Warren, who happened to be wearing a gray suit, helped Lizzie get on the sidewalk as she was wearing a tight polka dot dress and red pumps. Lizzie's father raised his photo camera with his wife standing next to him.
"Smile," he demanded.
Warren wrapped his arm around Lizzie's waist as the couple smiled for the camera.
"Hands off!"
Warren frantically removed his hand from Lizzie's waist and kept his hands to himself. Lizzie glanced at him before paying attention to her father. The two resumed smiling until Lizzie's dad snapped the picture.
"Oh, you look so cute, Lizzie," her mother commented.
"Thanks, mom," smiled Lizzie.
"May God protect you."
"Thanks, mom," Lizzie's smile turned crooked.
"Waldo, can I talk to you for a minute?" requested Lizzie's father.
"My name is Warren," he corrected, walking up to Lizzie's dad.
"Yeah, listen." He began whispering into Warren's ear, "Make sure when you slow dance with my daughter, you make room for God. I'm saying this because he's always there. He's watching you and he'll be telling me what you'll be doing because we're cool like that. So touch my daughter inappropriately and you'll be touched... by angels."
He pulled away from Warren who had a scared look. He smiled at him then patted him on the shoulder. Warren turned away and relaxed his face so Lizzie wouldn't worry. He walked up to her while Lizzie's parents went back into their car.
"Have a good time, sweetie," Lizzie's mom waved out the window.
Lizzie waved back before the car drove off to disappear. She and Warren approached the waiting Andrea and Kevin.
"Candy Andy, you look dandy!" Lizzie commented.
"Why thank you, Lizzie, who's making me dizzy from all those polka dots," Andrea remarked, "which is good."
"Kevin, you look dashing."
"Thanks," Kevin nodded with his hands in his pockets.
"Lizzie, don't look at him," said Warren playfully. "Look at me."
"Okay," Lizzie accepted, staring at her date.
Kevin chuckled, making Andrea snicker a little bit.
Just seconds after, a black car drove up the street and ceased by the curb. Skye and Jeffrey opened both doors at the end and wormed out at opposite ends. They closed the doors and walked on the sidewalk. They walked together and approached the two couples with Skye waving at her friends in a black dress with silver sequins. Jeffrey was also looking cute in white button-down and black slacks with a silver neck tie.
"Oh, my gosh," Lizzie squealed. "Skye, you look so cute!"
Skye giggled. "Be quiet, Lizzie."
"I should take a picture."
"I don't want to take a picture by myself."
"You won't be by yourself. You're with Jeffrey."
"I don't want to be with Jeffrey." Skye then looked at him. "Not that I don't want to be with you."
"Awkward," whispered Andrea.
In a few minutes, the teens gazed upon a gray Mercedes-Benz from afar that stopped within a parking lot. Madeline came out the driver side in a pink princess gown with her date, Jackson, leaping out the front side door. Debra in a floral dress and Kyle in a dapper tan suit wormed out of the passenger doors. The four walked together after closing the doors and crossed the street towards the open doors that were fronted by their friends.
Andrea walked a bit closer to the group. "Hi, Madeline... and James Bond." She took a look at Jackson who was in an old-fashioned tuxedo. "You guys look fabulous."
"Thank you, Andrea," responded Madeline. "You look so beautiful. You all look beautiful."
"Thank you," Kevin adjusted his red tie.
"Can we go in now?" asked Warren. "I fear that they won't let us in."
"That's not what you should be fearing but okay," said Andrea.
The whole group walked with each other and entered the school's doors.
"I smell French fries," shared Lizzie.
"Madeline replaced the gas in her car with vegetable oil," said Debra.
"It was the only way she'd get in the car," admitted Madeline.
The group spotted a table in the lobby with older people behind it. They formed a line in front of the table and gave away their tickets and showed forms of I.D. They were all directed to the gymnasium which had tables on one side and just space on the other. The walls were covered in multicolored balloons and streamers. Against the wall was a D.J. in between two large speakers. Teenagers were dancing on the dance floor while some of them sat at the tables, making conversation.
"Oh, this is my song!" said Andrea, beginning to dance to the electronic-driven music. She danced deep into the dance floor with Kevin following her.
The rest of the couples moved into the dance floor except for Madeline and Jackson when Madeline stopped inside the gymnasium near the door.
"What's wrong?" Jackson asked.
"Nothing," Madeline shook her head.
"Are you sure?"
"No. Jackson, I have to tell you something."
"What is it?"
"After I asked you to the dance, I asked someone else to go with me."
"Okay. What happened after that?"
"I told him not to go with me... today, this morning."
"Alright. It's a little shady to tell me this so late but at least you're telling me. And now we go dance."
Madeline shook her head. "No."
"No?"
"No. Jackson, I think it's best that I don't go to the prom with you."
"But you're already going to the prom with me. Actually, we're already here."
"I know that. It's just that I feel guilty and uncomfortable and truly remorseful. I've always wanted to spend time with you for so long but I'm not the right person for you to hang out with. I'm really sorry. Is it okay that you hang out with your friends like you planned?"
Jackson sighed. "Sure." He cupped his palm on Madeline's cheek. "Maybe we can hang out at a good time someday."
Madeline smiled. "Someday."
Jackson smiled back before walking away from Madeline and searching for his friends by the tables.
Madeline relaxed her shoulders with her eyes to the ceiling. She then growled softly to herself. "Why do I always drive boys away?"

No comments:

Post a Comment