Thursday, April 30, 2015

Girls Like Athletes (Chapter 4)

So far, Lizzie attended all of her desired tryouts and did not get into any single one. Since she tried to get in all of the school sports for girls, she decided to take a break from even thinking about sports. Plus, she focused on her position in cheerleading. A couple of days after her failed attempts, she attended cheerleading practice once again in the football field in which the football team practiced as well. After Pamela told all the girls to take a break, Lizzie sat in the bleachers with her best friends, who decided to visit her before going home. As they chatted, Lizzie couldn't keep her eyes off of Warren who was playing with his teammates from afar.

"You shouldn't change yourself for a man," said Madeline.

"I know," responded Lizzie, "but I was going to play only one sport."

"Lizzie, if you're bad at one sport, that means you're probably bad at all sports," commented Skye. "And you are."

"Don't be harsh, Skye," said Debra.

"No, it's true," said Lizzie. "I was terrible at all of them. I should've stopped at volleyball."

"Yeah," agreed Madeline. "But look at the bright side: if you played sports, you would have had scratches on your face. And your face is too beautiful to be scratched."

"Thanks, I've been told. Not to sound conceited. I didn't know until a bunch of people said that to me so I know... not to brag. Or am I bragging? I--"

"Lizzie, you know there's a thing called 'stop talking'?" asked Skye.

"Hey, no visitors!" yelled Pamela from below.

"Suck it, Pam!" responded Andrea.

Pamela rolled her eyes then walked off to Mauricia.

"Don't worry, Lizzie," said Debra. "Maybe Warren's not the one."

Lizzie paused, still staring at Warren. "I need another chance."

She got up and scooched pass Andrea and Skye then down the steps.

"Where are you going, Liz'?" asked Madeline.

Lizzie exit the fence in front of the bleachers and ran towards the field of football players, confusing the cheerleaders. Lizzie approached Warren who was standing around and didn't move when he saw Lizzie.

"Hey, Warren," she greeted kindly.

"Hey, Lizzie," Warren smiled. "What are you doing here?"

"Oh, I'm a cheerleader, obviously. A very athletic cheerleader."

"Yeah, I know but what are you doing here?"

"Oh, I thought maybe I can help your teammates play football."

"Um, okay."

Lizzie turned around. "Hey, guys, I'm gonna help you play!"

A few of the teammates wolf-whistled and cat-called.

An African-American boy walked up to Lizzie. "Are you sure?" he asked. "You're a girl."

"But a very athletic girl," said Lizzie.

"Okay, just keep tossing the ball, guys," declared Warren.

The boys continued to threw the football to each other while some of them chased and blocked one another. Lizzie didn't move around so much but tried to stay near Warren.

Once she saw a boy getting blocked by another as he cradled the ball, Lizzie waved her arms and shouted, "Hey, over here!"

The boy shrugged and threw the ball over the other boy's shoulder. The ball flew over several guys' head but came down very fast. Fast enough to strike Lizzie on the top of her head with lots of force and knock her down unconscious, almost flat on her back.

"I don't want to sound a bad person," started Skye to her shocked friends, "but I told her so."

No comments:

Post a Comment