Monday, April 6, 2015

The School President of the United States (Chapter 5)

The girls waited for Madeline in the cafeteria after hearing big news. They stood up by their table and looked at the door. It took only two minutes for Madeline enter after the girls did. Once they saw her and she was close enough, Lizzie threw out a long, purple streamer that was restricted in her hand over Madeline's shoulder.

"Surprise!" she shouted.

Skye blew into a paper horn that she held which produced a tooting noise.

"Ready?" Lizzie asked the girls. "One, two, three..."

The girls started to sing in almost perfect unison:

Oh, for she's a jolly good fellow

For she's a jolly good fellow

For she's a jolly good fellow...

Which nobody can deny

Except for the people who don't like her

They might deny that

But it's okay because we like her

Madeline snickered a bit. "I see you heard the news."

"Of course, Maddie," said Lizzie, walking up to Madeline. "Or should I say Laguna Beach High's student body president of 2014?"

"Congradulations!" squealed Debra.

Lizzie hugged Madeline.

"Thank you," smiled Madeline.

Once Lizzie released her, the girls sat down at their table.

"Oh, what's it like to be president, President Maddie?" asked Andrea.

"It puts a sweet taste in my mouth. It's sugary, delightful and totally kicks butt!"

"I made you a tiara," said Lizzie, picking up a paper crown decorated in marker that rested on the table.

"Lizzie, I'm president, not princess," Madeline shook her head. The she paused. "But give me that." She swiped the crown and placed it on her fair-haired head.

"I made it in art class."

"When?" asked Skye. "In kindergarten?"

Lizzie wasn't fazed; she giggled it off.

"Thank you, Lizzie," said Madeline. "Just thank you, all of you."

"We believed in you," started Debra, "but truthfully, we had no idea you'd win."

"I had no idea either."

"Maybe people really liked what you said," guessed Andrea.

"I don't even remember what I said. But it was obviously awesome."

"Chrissy and A.J. didn't have a chance anyway," remarked Skye. "They were...them. You were you. You were real."

"I still can't believe that they did all those things to you," said Lizzie, leaning down.

"Well, I didn't have to report those things because I would've won anyway," Madeline responded.

"Speaking of the devil," Andrea said softly, leaning back and seeing Chrissy and A.J. walking together towards their table.

"We were talking about devils?" questioned Lizzie.

"No, I meant they're coming."

Madeline spun out of her seat and stood up to face Chrissy and A.J. at their level.

"Hello, Shia LeBouf," greeted Chrissy with a devilish voice.

A.J. waved.

"Hello, Jekyll and Hyde," Madeline replied.

"We want to say we're sorry," said Chrissy more sincerely.

"I'm more sorry," A.J. cut in.

"We didn't mean to draw on you with marker."

"Or fling oatmeal in your face."

"Or hot glue your pencil pouch shut."

"Or walk you into a door with a water bucket on top of it."

"Nevertheless, we're sorry."

"Yeah, you know what they say: 'Let the best man win'. And obviously, at the end of the day, the best man won."

"Well, thank you for calling me a man," smirked Madeline.

"I didn't mean it that way."

"Listen, Maddie," Chrissy took a step closer, "we let the wonders of leadership get inside our heads, especially me. Can you forgive me? Can we go back to being friends and debate club members?"

Madeline looked up at the ceiling to think, but she knew her answer. "Of course," she answered after a pause.

Chrissy grinned then hugged Madeline who hugged her back. A.J. broke the five second long hug by softly pushing Chrissy away on her chest.

"Since you forgive her, I assume you forgive me," he supposed. "I'm not going to be a dog and ask for a hug so I would like to ask for a handshake."

Madeline shrugged. "Of course."

A.J. put out his hand so Madeline can grab it and shake it.

"I'm so glad we're on good terms," she started, "because now things can go back to normal and we--"

Madeline stopped talking when she saw A.J. start to lean forward with his eyes closed and lips puckered. She leaned back so her face would not touch his face.

"What are you doing?" she asked, disgusted.

A.J. opened his eyes and stood up straight. "I thought you were going to kiss me."

Madeline let go of his hand. "I was talking. No!"

"I'm sorry, do you have a boyfriend?"

"No!"

"So that means I have a chance?"

"No!"

"I'm going to leave now."

"Yes!"

A.J. looked down and spun ninety degrees before walking far away from Madeline's table.

"I love your crown," Chrissy complimented. "So eighties!"

No comments:

Post a Comment