Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Girls Like Athletes (Chapter 2)

Few days later, after school, Lizzie participated in cheerleading practice nearby the football field as a game was coming up. The cheerleaders practiced a choreography together with Pamela walking back and forth looking at the squad for flaws. Once the squad were done dancing, Pamela certainly had something to say.

"That was good," she announced. "But I don't want good; I want perfect. So keep practicing and maybe you'll be better than Beyonce which is highly impossible but I want to see you try."

"Pamela, can we have a break?" asked one of the cheerleaders.

"No."

"But some of us are tired."

"Some as in you?"

"Yeah, I'm tired."

"Well, did Moses get tired? No, he kept pushing the red sea so that the followers can cross."

"I don't think he exactly pushed the sea apart," said another cheerleader.

"I will kick you out of this squad, Janie. Remember that."

"I agree with Pamela," said Mauricia, Pamela's fellow Cow Belle. "We don't need a break."

"Thanks, sister."

"You're welcome, sister."

"They're like Siamese twins," muttered Kari, the red head, to a fellow teammate.

"What did you say, Kari?" asked Pamela.

"I said my Siamese cat had twins," Kari spoke up.

"Huh, that's what I thought you said."

"Oh, I love cat babies!" commented Lizzie.

"No one cares what you love," said Mauricia.

"Yeah, no one," Pamela agreed. "Alright, girls, let's take a break."

The cheerleaders made confused faces but shook them off. Pamela and Mauricia walked out together through the open fence while the other cheerleaders sat down on the nearby benches. Lizzie noticed the boys from afar playing football. When she looked even closer, she spotted Warren who she met a couple of days ago. Once he kept still, Lizzie waved with her pom-pom to catch his attention. Eventually, his attention was caught and he happily waved.

"Are you flirting with Warren Kerr?" asked Kari.
"No, I'm just waving," Lizzie responded. "I mean waving can be mistaken for flirting so I guess I am flirting with him. Wait, does that mean I've been flirting with my friends?"

Kari looked away. "How do you know him?"

"I met him a while ago. He's so cute; I think I might ask him out."

"Oh, I don't know about that."

"Why?"

"I don't think you're his type."

"What are you talking about? I'm everybody's type... someone said to me. I didn't know until someone told me so I kind of accepted it... not to brag. Or am I bragging? I don't even know anymore."

"Warren only dates girls who play sports."

"How do you know?"

"Because I had a friend who thought she had a great connection with him. But when she asked him out, he refused to go with her because he said he likes girls who were on sports team and my friend was in math club."

"But cheerleading is a sport. Plus, being very good at math takes skill so that's like a sport as well."

"Cheerleading is not a sport... well, not to the guys. I'm sorry."

"No, it's okay. All I have to do is play one sport; it's no big deal."

"Are you seriously thinking about joining a sports team?"

"Kari, Warren is cherry pie and I need to get myself a slice. Know what I'm saying?"

"Okay, you got to stop talking to me like that."

 

No comments:

Post a Comment