Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Girls Like Athletes (Chapter 3)

The week after, Lizzie signed up for multiple tryouts for various types of sports at her school from softball to swimming. First, she attended a tryout for volleyball as they started on Wednesday right after school. Before going, she put on clothes meant for exercising just like the other girls had to. She waited on the front bench of the bleachers in the gymnasium with the other participants. They waited for half an hour until the head volleyball player stepped up to them.

"Welcome, ladies," she announced. "I appreciate you all for coming. But let's cut the chitchat because I only have time for good athletes." She looked at her clipboard. "Alright, I want Abigail Pinewood, Lizzie Duvall and DeeDee Kerosene to come up."

Lizzie stood up along with the other two girls. They joined the players that stood around the volleyball net. The three connected themselves to the smaller team divided from the bigger team due to the net. The captain joined the bigger team and stood at the edge of them.

"You guys ready?" she asked.

"I know I'm ready," replied Lizzie while hopping. "I'm so ready."

The captain's teammate handed her the ball by tossing it to her. She held out the ball and hit it with her other hand. Each team hit it back and forth until one girl in front of the net struck it hard enough for Lizzie to get instantly hit in the face. She immediately fell down and covered her face with the palms of her hands.

"Ahh!" she uttered in a muffled tone. "Oh, my golly God, that hurt! Aw, it burns! Oh, my God, I haven't felt pain like that in a really long time. Ah! Oh, my God! It hurts! It hurts so much. Ah, somebody help me! It feels like I'm dying! Aw, oh, my God! Ah, ah!"

"Is she out?" asked one of the girls on the captain's team.

"Yeah, she's out," answered the captain.


The next day, Lizzie attended her tryout for girls' basketball right after school. She was so terrible that the basketball captain had to kick her out. She tried to push Lizzie out of the gym's door but Lizzie tried not to budge.

"Get out!" ordered the captain. "Go!"

"Please, give me one more chance!" Lizzie pleaded.

"No!"

"Come on! I can learn how to play!"

"The point of trying out is because you already know how to play."

"I didn't think about that."

"No, you had your chance. Just go!"

The captain gave her a shove, powerful enough to scoot Lizzie a distance from the door. The captain quickly closed the door and locked it. Lizzie pulled on the unmoveable door and banged on it.

"Come on!" she shouted. "Can't a girl just win the man of her affections?"

"Go away!" yelled the captain from the inside.

"Please!" Lizzie leaned against the door. "I'll make you cookies!"

No comments:

Post a Comment