Thursday, April 9, 2015

What Does He See in Her? (Chapter 1)

"Do you think Lizzie has a shopping problem?" asked Andrea, individually placing her books into her shimmery backpack.

"I feel she does but I don't have any precise proof," answered Skye. "Why did you ask?"

"Because I'm running out of space in my trunk and Lizzie keeps putting her items in there."

"Well, tell her to put them in her car."

"I did. She can't because her trunk is full of her clothes."

"Then it is likely that she does have a shopping problem."

"I know, right? And she can't put some of her clothes in Madeline's car because that trunk is full of clothes."

"Where does Lizzie get all of her money again? Because I know that she's not allowed to have a job."

"Her parents just throw money in her face. It's ridiculous."

"Making it rain. Are we sure that her parents are conservative?"

Andrea chuckled. "I'm kind of envious."

"Are the secret compartments in her closet full, too?"

"Skye, you know the answer."

"I know all answers."

Andrea stood up and threw her backpack over her shoulder, into her arm. "So you want to get some food later?"

"Nah, I have homework."

"You can do your homework in my car."

"No, you have road rage so it's kind of hard to concentrate or keep my pen still."

"Hey, if there wasn't so many pinheads on the road, I wouldn't have to drive like Miss Daisy meets Evel Knievel."

Skye snickered. She flipped her short hair by twisting her neck. That led to her looking over her shoulder and losing her smile. She saw from a not so far distance a pale-skinned boy in a gray flannel shirt. She recognized him from his hair to his glasses. It was Jeffrey, the boy Skye met at Richard's party not too long ago. Skye was shocked and thrilled to him. When he looked over his shoulder and saw Skye, her demeanor turned down into a chill state. He walked up to her with a smirk on his face.

"Skye?" Jeffrey pointed.

"Jeffrey?" Skye smiled.

"Oh, man! I almost forgot, you told me you went here."

"Too bad you forgot; I remembered."

Jeffrey chuckled. "You still got that sense of humor."

"Well, I still got a lot of things."

"Nice to meet you," he waved at Andrea. "I'm Jeffrey."

"Me llamo Andrea," she greeted back.

"Does she speak English?" Jeffrey asked Skye.

"Only on a good day," she replied before chuckling.

"It's so good to see you."

"You, too. What are you doing here anyway?"

"Oh, I'm visiting someone."

"Oh." Skye looked down and blinked numerous times. She knew that she wasn't the one he wanted to visit. "Who are you visiting?" she looked up.

"Jeffy Bear?" shouted a girl's voice from far away.

Skye and Andrea looked behind themselves. They spotted a skinny girl, about four yards from them, with red hair tied in a ponytail, bearing teeth glued with blue braces, and sporting a maroon marching band uniform.

"There's my Jeffy Bear," she called, sprinting towards the teens. She jumped up and embraced Jeffrey who caught her and held her up. He spun her around as her weight made him a bit unsteady. "You actually came," she squealed. "Finally!"

"Marla," Andrea and Skye said simultaneously and unenthusiastic.

"I said I'd come, Marla," Jeffrey said, looking up at her.

"Yeah, but you say you'd do a lot of things so..." Marla poked Jeffrey on the nose.

Jeffrey gently put Marla down. She pulled her jacket down then quickly gave Jeffrey one more squeeze.

"So... you're dating Marla, I see," Skye smiled to be polite.

"Yeah, we've been together for almost forever," Marla said with a subtle lisp. "How do you two know each other?"

"Oh, we met at some gathering," answered Jeffrey. "I tried to make a friend and there she was."

"Yeah, there I was," Skye nodded.

"I'm so proud of you for trying to make new friends," Marla put her hand on her chest. "But next time, make friends with a boy, okay?"

"I guess," Jeffrey almost muttered.

"Don't stare at him too hard, ladies. I got a long list of ex-lovers and there's a blank space but I am not writing his name. I will tell you that right now."

Andrea and Skye just stared at Marla in their own blank expressions. Marla smiled pretentiously and interlocked her arm with Jeffrey's. She turned him around and they walked together out of the school through the doors.

"I can't believe that Jeffrey has a girlfriend," said Skye, "and I never knew. I guess we weren't meant to be together like I thought."

"Is there a pimple behind my ear?" Andrea chose to ask, tucking her curly lock behind her ear.

No comments:

Post a Comment