Monday, April 27, 2015

Girls Like Athletes (Chapter 1)

One day, at the end of school hours, Lizzie opened her locker and took out her backpack. She dumped all of her books inside and shook the bag so the books can slide all the way down. She closed the locker and picked up the backpack from the bottom. Instantly when she did so, a boy bumped right into her and made her backpack almost slip between her hands. When she tried to catch it, she gripped the bottom, making all of the books fall out.

"Oh, I'm so sorry," said the boy.

"It's okay," responded Lizzie. She turned to look at the boy and almost immediately, she was mesmerized. He was Caucasian with brown, thick hair and stubble tracing his jawline. He held a Blackberry cellphone that reflected in his chocolate-colored eyes.

He crouched down and picked up Lizzie's book. Lizzie held her backpack by the top strap. The boy inserted the books into the backpack.

"Sorry, I was texting my mom," he said.

"Oh, you're a mama's boy," Lizzie perceived.

The boy let out a subtle chuckle.

"Sorry, that wasn't meant to offend you."

"No, it's okay. I love my mama."

Lizzie grinned instead of giggle.

The boy shifted his attention to the backpack and zipped it closed. "There you go. Now the books can't fall out."

"Yeah, unless there's a secret hole under my bag."

"Is there?"

"No."

"Okay, let's pray for that."

"Okay. Wait, you mean right now?"

The boy chuckled. "You're so cute."

Lizzie's eyes widened.

"I mean you're... not ugly."

"It's okay. I've been told 'cute' before. Enough times to accept it. Not that I think I'm cute... or ugly. I just know now I'm cute not to brag. Or am I bragging? I don't even know."

The boy chuckled.

"I think I made it awkward so we're even?"

"I guess so. Now, so I don't appear as some odd stranger, my name is Warren to break the ice."

"I'm Lizzie and is breaking ice your job?"

"I'm very good at it."

"Oh, you make ice sculptures?"

Warren laughed. "You're funny."

"That was a joke?"

"I would like to resume speaking to you but I have to continue having a conversation with my mother through my phone."

"Sure, I get it."

"See you around."

"Around I'll see you."

"Bye," he chuckled.

He turned around and walked off as Lizzie put on her backpack. Almost at the same time, Lizzie's girlfriends arrived and sided her.

"Hey, Liz', what's new?" asked Andrea.

"I think I just found my Channing Tatum," answered Lizzie. She walked forward, making the other girls follow.

"You know someone who looks like Channing Tatum here?" Madeline questioned with interest.

No comments:

Post a Comment