Friday, April 3, 2015

The School President of the United States (Chapter 4)

Weeks had passed and finally, the day was here: election day. Madeline avoided as many obstacles as she could, regarding her fellow candidates who showed their true colors to her. She was relieved to make it out alive. Now students, including Madeline's best friend, came to the auditorium to see the three candidates debate on stage.

An older gentleman walked across the stage, making the clamoring teenagers silence. "Hello, Laguna Beach High," he declared into his microphone. "Welcome to the student body election of 2014. I am Mister Huffington and I am here to present the competitors for office: Chrissy Walker, A.J. Hart, and Madeline King."

The three walked out on stage towards their own podiums. Before they stood behind the podiums, Chrissy and A.J. walked out looking confident followed by Madeline whose clothes were drenched along with her hair and face.

"Miss King, why are you wet?" asked Huffington, who turned around to look at the candidates.

"It's a long story," Madeline awkwardly giggled, standing before her podium.

"Well, then, let the games begin. So, nominees, you are going to explain why do you believe that you should be elected for student body president. Take as much time as you need as the students here will be voting. Commence speeches."

Mister Huffington walked off the stage to leave the candidates by themselves and let the witnessing students from the seats have a better view.

"Well, I think that I should be elected student body president," started Chrissy, "because the school needs people like me. I am academically successful so I would be mentally able to run the metaphorical office of Laguna Beach High School. I have many skills including ensembling a funky style." She motioned to her outfit of prints and patterns. "I feel it is important to have a leader with numerous skills because knowledge is needed everywhere. I am a member of the debate club so I know how to speak for the people. And I'm pretty and likeable so you must vote for me! Thank you."

"That was lame," A.J. commented. "I believe that I should be president because why not? I mean I never get D's or E's; I barely get B's and C's. I get A's all day, every day."

"I get A's, too."

"Yeah, like once a year. Anyway, you're going to need a president who is highly intelligent, someone who knows what they're doing. I was born to be a leader. I'm Barack Obama without the tan. When I look at all of you, I see bright futures. Well, not for all of you but some of you. But that's okay because I will make your future bright, brighter than the stars. I will make you remember me because how can you forget this face? Let my gorgeousness soak into you and get you a better life. You know you can't do it by yourself."

"Wow, way to sound pretentious, A.J."

"Like 'I'm pretty and likeable' didn't sound pretentious."

"Hey, it's true."

"Chrissy, that will be true once socks come to life and eat us."

"Boy, I will knock that Jon Hamm tie right off your neck."

"Please be courteous, nominees," requested Huffington.

"Sorry, Mister Huffington. I just want the students to feel close to me. I want to be their best friend who gives them fashion advice."

"The school doesn't need fashion advice," said A.J. "They need better cafeteria grub. Seriously, there is more juice on the pizza than there is in the cartons. Gross."

"But I love Greasy Pizza Fridays. I like to pretend to eat them so people can think I can eat whatever I want... not that I do that."

"Madeline, why are you so quiet over there?"

Madeline looked up.

"Yeah, Madeline, if you have something to say, say it," said Chrissy. "We're saying things."

"Okay," Madeline said before clearing her throat. "Hi," she uttered into the microphone. "I-- I, uh-- I believe... that I don't deserve to be president. I will tell you why: I'm not the right person for this position. I mean I get amazing grades and I have a big future planned ahead of me. But I'm just not ready; I don't get it. I don't get what responsibilities will be brought to me. It's always been my dream to be president for something and school president was actually a goal for me. But I'm not as perfect as you think I am. I lie and I freak out and there was a time I vomited all over Richard's bushes but I won't get into it. The point is that I try to use my 'hot girl' image to sell T-shirts and hang posters like a superstar. But I'm not and I need time to accept that. Don't get me wrong, I want to give you all the world. I want to inspire you, I want to give you hope, I want to make you feel important because we all are. But don't look up to me, look up to Chrissy or A.J. They made me realize that I was looking for a game to play which is not how life goes. I was prepared to make you all promises but instead, I should've been prepared to accept my soul before I let anyone look at me on the outside. It's the inside that matters. So I'm going to go so you can vote for a real student body president which is not me. Girls, can you please take me home?"

Madeline's girlfriends individually but instantly stood up from their seats and scooted out to walk in front of the stage. Madeline walked down the stairs on the side and was met by her friends.

"I'm sorry your dream's not going to come true, Madeline," confessed Debra.

"It's okay," said Madeline with a half-smile. "I have other dreams. Now can you take me to the dry cleaners? I want to ask the lady if they are willing to put me in the dryer."

No comments:

Post a Comment