Sunday, April 12, 2015

What Does He See in Her? (Chapter 3)

Two days later, Skye almost forgot about her strong infatuation with Jeffrey, the boy she met at Richard party. Over the weekend, instead of hanging out with her girlfriends, she decided to take her bandmates to the mall. She wanted to shop for new wardrobe and needed the boys come along to tell her what they wanted. They conversed as they walked passed shops that didn't interest them.

"Think I can get a snapback?" asked Kent, the band's drummer.

"You don't even know what that is," said Skye.

"Yes, I do, It's a hat that snaps back."

"Whatever. We will see."

"I hate that phrase, 'We will see'," confessed Sean, the rhythm guitarist. "Every time I asked my parents for something, they always said, 'We will see. We will see'. But I never got what I wanted."

"Maybe because you're a bad kid," said David, the lead guitarist.

"Hey, I can behave."

"But when was the last time you behaved?" asked Skye.

"Uh..."

"Three years ago?"

"No, two years ago. So ha!"

"Okay."

"Hey, does Madeline ever talk about me?"

"No, never."

"Have you mentioned me?"

"Yes, she still won't talk about you."

"Maybe that means something."

"Yeah, maybe it doesn't."

"When are you going to stop talking about Madeline?" questioned David.

"Till the day I get her," answered Sean.

Abruptly, Skye stopped walking. She put out her arms to stop the guys from walking.

"Hey, why are we stopping?" asked Kent, bumping into Skye's arm.

She pointed towards herself. There he was: Jeffrey, with Marla, sitting by the white water fountain. Skye was almost bulgy-eyed; she couldn't move.

"Who's that?" Sean questioned.

"Jeffrey," Skye answered quietly.

"Oh, that's Jeffrey?" asked Kent.

"He's hot," Sean commented. "You know, in a non-homosexual type of way."

"Who's the squirrel?" asked David.

"Marla," replied Skye, "his girlfriend."

"I don't get why we're stopping," said Sean.

"I can't just walk pass him."

"Hey, Jeffrey!" Kent shouted, waving. "Over here!"

Skye glared at Kent as she didn't want to be seen.

The calling eventually caught Jeffrey's attention. He awkwardly waved at Skye who awkwardly waved back as well.

Skye reached over and back-handed Kent in the gut. "I didn't want him to see me, doofus!"

"You said you couldn't pass him so I figured that you wanted to say hi first," Kent explained himself.

"Well, you figured wrong!"

Jeffrey motioned his hand at Skye to invite her over. Marla gave him the evil eye but didn't stop him. Skye took her time to walk over to Jeffrey. Her bandmates followed her as they thought the hand motion was to themselves as well.

"Hi," Skye smiled.

"Hi, Skye," Jeffrey greeted back.

"Hello, Marla."

"Hi," Marla cocked her head. "Who are those dudes? Are they all your boyfriends?"

"No, we're just her friends," replied David. "We go to your school just like her."

"I don't remember seeing you."

"That's because we're the aloof kids," said Kent. "We're so cool, we can't be seen."

"That's not it but whatever makes you happy."

Kent's smile quickly dropped to a scowl.

"I didn't know you were coming to the mall," said Jeffrey.

"Well, it's not like I post everything I'm about to do on Facebook," Skye tried to joke.

"I do!" Marla shared. "I think my life is important and it should be to everyone else."

"But I don't know you so your life is not that important to me," Sean commented.

"Can you not talk to me?" she asked in a polite voice with seering rudeness.

Sean looked away.

"Marla, be nice," demanded Jeffrey.

"I can do whatever I want," Marla responded through her teeth.

"So you guys are on a date?" asked Skye.

"Sorta," answered Marla. "Jeffy Bear is buying me anything I want today for our tenth-year anniversary."

"Ten years?"

"Dang, how old are y'all?" asked Kent.

"We're seventeen," answered Jeffrey. "We just have been together ever since we met each other in first grade."

"Wait, you began your relationship in first grade?" Skye asked.

"Mm-hmm," Marla nodded.

"You two just stayed together for ten straight years?"

"Yep."

"Like you didn't break it off after first grade or at least after elementary school?"

"What can I say? He couldn't keep his eyes and hands off me."

Marla wrapped her hands around Jeffrey's neck and interlocked her fingers.

"I find that hard to believe," Sean muttered to Kent.

"Did you say something?" asked Marla.

"You told me not to talk to you," Sean's voice raised in volume.

"So I guess we're going to go," stated Skye, "you know, on our separate ways. It was nice seeing you two... again."

"Can I give you a hug for goodbye?" requested Marla.

"We're not actually leaving. I meant we're going to go shop so we might bump into each other again anyway."

"So can I get a hug in case we don't bump into you again?"

Skye's eyebrows scrunched. "I guess."

Marla stood up and wrapped her arms around Skye. Skye hugged her back awkwardly so she grazed her hands on Marla's back as she felt like she couldn't move her arms.

"I know you like him," Marla whispered into Skye's ear.

Skye's eyes widened.

"Stay away from him. I will break you."

Marla released her and gave her a big smile. Skye just stared at her like she was crazy. Marla sat on Jeffrey's lap and put her arm around him to show Skye had no chance with him. Skye feigned a smile and turned around to direct the guys to walk the other way.

No comments:

Post a Comment