Friday, May 1, 2015

Girls Like Athletes (Chapter 5)

Lizzie woke up on one of the benches with her friends and Warren surrounding her. Warren pressed a Ziplock bag of ice on her forehead while she was unconscious and coming to.

Madeline leaned over Lizzie. "Lizzie, are you okay?" she asked.

Lizzie groaned. "Is this real life?"

"I don't know how to respond to that," admitted Skye.

Lizzie sat up. Warren took off the bag of ice. "What happened?" she asked.

Andrea responded with, "You got knocked the--"

"Andrea, language," Madeline stopped her.

"You fell down," Andrea said instead.

"Oh, yes, I remember," Lizzie touched her cold forehead.

"Take deep breaths," ordered Debra. "It will help you gain consciousness."

"She's already conscious," said Skye.

"Debbie knows best," Debra said after a chuckle.

"Um, not to be rude, can I speak with Lizzie alone?" asked Warren.

"Yeah, sure," answered Madeline.

"You so good-looking," Andrea remarked.

Madeline interlocked her arm with Andrea's and led her away from the two. Debra and Skye followed so Lizzie can be sort of alone with Warren.

"Hi," Lizzie said.

"Hi," Warren replied.

"I'm really embarrassed."

"Don't be. People knock themselves out all the time."

"I guess that's true."

"But why did you put yourself in danger like that?"

"'Cause I wanted you to notice me."

"Well, it worked. But why?"

Lizzie sighed. "I have a little crush on you. And I heard that you don't date girls who don't play sports. So I tried to prove to you that I play sports but I don't. I'm terrible at sports."

"So you tried to pretend to be someone you're not?"

"No, I was all me. The only thing that was pretend was the athletic part."

"Uh-huh."

"Oh, you probably still don't like me anyway. Now I look like a big, lying creep."

"Hey, I don't think you're a creep."

"So you think I'm big and lying?"

"No, I didn't say that. Lizzie, you seem like a nice girl--"

"A nice girl who doesn't play sports. Yeah, yeah, yeah. I know; I get the picture. I'm just sorry for... being a creep."

"Lizzie. I-- I don't see many beautiful girls like you. In fact, I don't meet many girls who are as bubbly and funny like you. Girls like you are rare and if I don't like you, that would be my loss."

Lizzie looked up to think. "So... I should tell you to screw off?"

"No, I mean that... I'm asking you out."

Lizzie opened her eyes more wide. "Really? What's with the change of heart or mind?"

"I just know that I'm not a fool and I would like to get to know you more."

"Oh, jolly day! Wait, do people say 'jolly day'?"

Warren grabbed Lizzie's neck softly and pecked his lips on her forehead. "They do now."

Lizzie grinned. "I think I'm gonna pass out again."

No comments:

Post a Comment