Tuesday, May 26, 2015

What Happened to Sales?! (Chapter 1)

Madeline handed an elderly lady a bag of shirts over the counter. "Thanks for shopping at the Pink Tee," she stated. "Come again... or try not to. I could use a break."
The lady gave Madeline a short smile before leaving the store. Madeline put her elbows on the counter and rested her cheeks in her hands as she gazed upon the quiet, empty store.
"How is this store still running?" she asked herself.
Unknowingly, Madeline's girlfriends came to the mall to ask her if she wanted to shop with them since they had nothing else better to do. The girls decided to stop by her job to check up on her. They came in with Lizzie saying, "Knock, knock" to capture Madeline's attention.
Madeline stood up straight and looked at her friends. "Hey!"
The girls walked over to the counter.
"What's up, my sisters?" Madeline asked.
"Oh, we were just in the neighborhood," answered Debra.
"I'm so glad you're all here. It was getting boring in here."
"Since nobody's shopping right now," started Lizzie, "how about you go on a shopping spree with us?"
"I would love to but somebody has to watch the store. And I am the only one who works here. I have to talk to my manager but I don't know where she went."
"I'm here," said Madeline's manager who had just entered the shop while eating a doughnut.
"Never mind then. So, Penelope, can I ask you a question?"
"No, Madeline, I don't have body wax so I can't remove my mustache."
"That's not what I wanted to ask. I wanted to know if you could get behind the cash register so I can take a break."
"What do I look like? A miracle worker?"
"No, but you are a worker and it would be a miracle if I could take a break."
"Well, since you did come on time and didn't slack off afterwards, I guess I can watch the store a little bit."
"Oh, thank you, thank you, Penelope!"
"Yeah, yeah, yeah." Penelope took a bite of her doughnut. "But I'm going to give you half an hour so be sure to--"
"Penelope, Penelope. Please don't talk with your mouth full. Not only it's disgusting but we wouldn't want you to choke like last time."
"Mm-hmm."
"And if I save you again, you're going to have to give me a raise."
"I've been notified."
"Cool, try not to talk."
Madeline took her pink hat and dropped it on the floor. She walked around the counter to be near her girlfriends.
"I have body wax," said Lizzie. "I could lend you some if you want."
Penelope stared at Lizzie. "We'll talk. Just get out of here, Mad King."
"Alright," Madeline said, walking off out the store with her friends following.
"Why does she call you Mad?" asked Lizzie.
"Because that's part of my name."
"But you're not mad. See what I did there."
"Hilarious."

No comments:

Post a Comment