Thursday, May 21, 2015

Straight D's (Chapter 5)

By the beginning of the week, everything went back to normal for Madeline. She changed back to her regular self: shiny, wavy hair, girly makeup and fun, preppy clothing. She decided to take her time in school more seriously and change up her studying habits. She felt like she was doing well to the middle of that new week.

Around that time, she was completing a worksheet along with her calculus class. This time, she was focused and prepared better than ever. As she answered her third question in neat handwriting, Chad Welch, who still sat behind her, tapped her on the shoulder. She tried to ignore him but after a good seven seconds, she turned around. He handed her a folded up piece of paper. She received it with a smile. After turning back around, she flicked the note over her desk then continued to work on the classwork. Seeing her throw the note made Chad baffled. He opened his blue binder and ripped out a random sheet of paper. With his pencil, he wrote his message on it then folded up the paper. He tapped Madeline on the shoulder with it but she didn't pay him any attention. He tapped her on the shoulder repeatedly; she pretended that Chad didn't exist. He eventually stopped then attempted to throw the note on her desk. When he did, the note landed on the desk next to Madeline. The girl who sat at that desk picked up the note and unfolded it. After reading the message, she turned around and grinned at Chad. He shook his head to indicate that the note was not for her, making the girl frown and turn back around.

"Time's up," the teacher alarmed. She walked up and down the classroom to collect the students' worksheets.

Once she got everybody's papers, she sat them down on her desk and searched through her desk. As she did so, Chad called Madeline's name as the other students began to speak to each other. Madeline turned around with an emotionless face.

"Why are you ignoring me?" he asked.

"Because I feel like it," she answered.

"But why?"

The teacher came up to Madeline's desk and planted a graded packet on it before walking away.

"Good job, Madeline," she commented.

Madeline looked straight at the big A that sat in the top right hand corner of the packet with a 92% right by. She knew that she didn't have to put the paper up in the light because what she was seeing was totally realistic.

"This is why," said Madeline, picking up the test and showing it to Chad. "I didn't have this when I was talking to you. My grades are very important to me and I'm not going to let boys become more significant in my life than school."

"So you're going to stop talking to me?" asked Chad.

"I'll still talk to you after school but during school, you're invisible."

"I'm invisible? I believe that I'm too gorgeous to be invisible."

"But you're too conceited to be not invisible."

"Like you're not conceited, Madame."

"Hey, a Madame can be whatever she wants to be. And I want to be an over-achiever, thank you very much. So I am not going to let this 'connection' knock me off my pedestal."

"Boy, I love it when you talk mean all of a sudden."

Madeline raised her eyebrows. "Really?"

"Yeah, it's hot."

"Oh, well, then, that shirt is disgusting. I've seen boogers cuter than that shirt."

"Tell me more." Chad leaned in.

"Your hair lacks so much shine, even if it was wet, it would still look dry."

"Again, again."

"You have the IQ of lemonade."

"Do you want to go on a date later?"

"I can go on that date on Saturday."

"Can I make you dinner?"

"As long as you cook pasta."

"And cherry pie?"

"Stop it!" Madeline picked up her packet and chucked it on Chad's face.

No comments:

Post a Comment