Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Oh, Baby (Chapter 3)

In the middle of the week, Lizzie's parents decided to take her to a strip mall and visit a baby store. Lizzie was still feeling anxious about the whole brother/sister thing. She had been an only child for a long time that she got used to her lifestyle. But she tried to fake it for as long as she could until a brand new day came.
Lizzie's mother pulled a blue onesie off its rack. "This one is cute," she said, showing the design. "It has a monkey on it."
"Children do love monkeys," said Lizzie.
Her mother put the onesie back on the rack and pulled off another one. "Oh, what about this one? It has hearts surrounding a heart."
"Babies love hearts, too."
"Joseph, do you see anything?"
Lizzie's father spun around slowly, scanning the whole store. "Nothing that my son will want to wear."
"Joseph, it's a baby. It doesn't know what it wants."
"It's a boy?" asked Lizzie.
"Yeah."
"How do you know? Did you do it standing up?"
"Where did you-- Never mind. Your father and I went to get a sonogram last month."
"Last month?"
Her mother paused. "Did I say 'last month'? I meant 'last week'."
"Oh, did it feel like a really long week? You know, because you're pregnant?"
"Yes. Yes, it did."
"But I don't understand. If you had the child for a week, how can a doctor give you a hologram?"
"Sonogram."
"Yeah, hologram."
"Sweetie, I think we should just tell her," recommended the father.
"Tell me what? That you're not having a baby? Because if you were wrong, then I totally understand."
"No, it's not that," her mother sighed.
"Oh." Lizzie crossed her arms.  "Then what?"
Her mother bit her lip. "I haven't been pregnant for a week. I've been pregnant for four months."
"Four months?"
"Or three. Whichever's the shortest."
"You've been pregnant for four months and you knew about it and you guys didn't tell me?"
"I guess so."
"For all this time, I thought you were just getting fat."
"Well, she's not," responded the dad. "But good excuse, right?"
"Oh, my goodness. So since you're having a baby, you're just going to lie to me every day."
"No, Elizabeth," said her mom. "That's not true."
"Oh, don't call me by my full first name. Ever since you told me I'm having a brother or whatever, my life felt like it's been changing. It's been only a week and I feel like my life is changing. Like right before my eyes. Can't you understand how that makes me feel?"
"You said you were happy for me."
"Well, I lied. I'm not happy; I don't think I can actually be physically happy about this. This is a baby: a small, clueless, helpless being that you two are going to pay attention to more than you will with me."
"Well, it is a baby, Lizzie, but--"
"I know and I can't accept that. I was your only priority but sooner or later, I'm going to be number two like doo-doo."
"You won't be doo-doo."
"Doo-doo?" the father inquired.
"You know what?" asked Lizzie. "I'm going to make like doo-doo and flush."
"What does that mean?" questioned her mother.
"It means I'm leaving. I'm going to stay at a friend's house and possibly stay there forever. Because I'm not ready for you guys to stop paying attention to me. Actually, you guys don't pay me any attention anyway so it doesn't even matter."
Lizzie turned her whole body and marched across the store then exited. Lizzie's father walked up to her teary-eyed mother and wrapped his arm around her shoulders to calm her down before she could even break down.

No comments:

Post a Comment