Wednesday, July 8, 2015

The One with the Rude Boyfriend (Chapter 2)

A couple of days later, the girls found themselves in the cafeteria at school again. They waited -- almost impatiently -- for Debra who was mysteriously missing as she would be quite early for lunchtime.
"Where is she?" questioned Andrea. "She's not usually this late."
"I know," said Madeline. "The bell is about to ring."
"Well, Debra once told me that taking your time leads to success," mentioned Lizzie.
"Well, by Debra taking her time to come to lunch, she's going to be successful at being late," noted Andrea.
"I guess so."
"I have a feeling I know the reason why she's late but I can't clearly explain it," said Skye. "I don't know; I'm worried about her."
"You've never said that you worry about us," reminded Madeline.
"Because I don't like to admit it. But I'm admitting it now: I'm worried about Debra. And I think something is up."
Almost instantly, Debra entered the cafeteria, grabbing her friends' attention. She walked in, holding hands with a Caucasian fellow with a short, brown quiff and big, brown eyes.
"Hey, guys," she quietly greeted. "This is the guy I've told you about: Travis."
"Nice to meet you, girls," he said.
The girls gave him their own greeting at the same time.
"Would you like to have a seat, Travis?" asked Madeline.
"No, thanks," he answered. "I kinda ditched class to meet you all."
"So romantic," Lizzie cooed.
"So Travis, what do you do?" Madeline asked.
Debra started, "Oh, he does--"
"Babe," Travis interrupted her, "let me speak for myself, okay?"
Debra looked away.
Travis began to answer the question: "I'm in journalism so I help write the newspaper."
"Oh, do you know Calvin?" asked Madeline. "He's such a doll. Basically because he can't say no to me."
"I do know Calvin. Sweet kid."
"What's that, Debra?" asked Andrea, pointing by her eye.
"What's what?" Debra inquired.
"That thing by your eye. Is that a bruise?"
Debra covered the side of her face, concealing the purple, bulging spot laying next to her left eye. She peeked at Travis who was already staring at her.
"Oh, it's... it's nothing," she answered.
"Then why are you covering it?" questioned Skye. The cold look on her face never left ever since the couple came in.
Travis looked at Skye. "She fell on a chair. Right, baby?" He then looked at Debra.
"Yeah," Debra agreed in a breath. "Yes, I fell on a chair. Hard. On the face."
Travis put his hand behind Debra, pinching the small of her back. She jumped at the painful sensation but nervously laughed it off.
"You seem tired, Debbie," commented Lizzie.
"Oh, you know, lack of sleep," Debra responded.
"But you take three-hour naps at home after school," mentioned Andrea.
"Well, I took them out of my schedule so I can have time to go out with Travis."
Travis wrapped her arm around Debra. "Isn't she a sweetheart?"
"Yes, she is a sweetheart," agreed Skye with a fake smile. "A sweetie. The sweetest person ever. So sweet."
"Sweeter than sugar," added Lizzie before giggling. "Which is almost impossible but she makes it work."
"Well, I got to go," nodded Travis. "The power of the hall pass is draining. It was nice meeting you all. Debra, baby, do you want to go outside with me?"
"I have no other choice," she answered quietly.
The two walked out of the cafeteria to stand in front of the entrance. The girls looked at them -- depending on from where they were sitting -- through the door and window. They couldn't hear the couple but it seemed like they were arguing. When Travis stepped closer to Debra, she stopped talking as he spoke into her ear. The girls could see a contrast between the couple's eyes while they interacted. Then, Travis leaned in, making Debra lean back. He clutched onto her buttock, agitated, and planted a long kiss on Debra's lips. He released her then walked away. Debra swept her bangs off her face while walking into the cafeteria. But when she looked up at her friends, she felt a shivering feeling inside her body making her halt.
"Are you okay, Debra?" asked Andrea.
Debra opened her mouth but words didn't come out. When she finally spoke, she said, "I got to use the bathroom."
She turned around and sprinted out of the cafeteria.
"Tell me that you guys saw all of that," said Skye.
"Oh, you were right, Skye," Madeline said, sitting in her seat correctly.
"Something is definitely up," shared Andrea.
"I was right to trust my gut," said Skye. "I felt a chill from Debra and I didn't let it go."
"I don't understand what is going on," Lizzie acknowledged.
"Lizzie, let's just say," Madeline started, "Travis is doing to Debra what Ike Turner did to Tina Turner."
"I don't know who those people are."
"Okay, what about Chris Brown and Rihanna?"
"Oh, I love them."
"Ray Rice and his wife."
Lizzie stood up in a crooked manner. "Travis is what?!" she snapped.

No comments:

Post a Comment