Tuesday, July 7, 2015

The One with the Rude Boyfriend (Chapter 1)

"Did you know if you eat something piece by piece," started Madeline, tearing a bit of her sandwich, "it can help you lose weight?"
"Are you insinuating that we're fat?" asked Skye.
"No, it's just a fact."
"That we need to lose weight," added Andrea.
"Now don't turn this on me. You guys half of the time don't even eat lunch."
"I once saw three flies land on somebody's pizza," confessed Lizzie. "That made me not want to touch school lunch ever again."
"Well, do what I do: make yourself a lunch. Because the only food you can trust is the food inside your refrigerator."
"Really? Then we can never go to the restaurants ever again."
"Hey, if the food at a restaurant killed people, then the restaurant would get shut down," noted Andrea.
"Okay, so no new restaurants."
"You know what?" Skye asked. "I don't need lunch at all. I do need to lose a couple of pounds; I do weigh as much as a bowl."
Andrea snickered. "You shouldn't try to lose any weight, Skye. I think your boyfriend likes you just the way you are and you know what they say: 'Boys like a little more booty to hold at night'."
"'They' as in Meghan Trainor," Madeline noted.
Skye tilted her head. "I do not have a boyfriend."
Andrea softly, but audibly, banged on the table. "When are you going to admit that you have a boyfriend?"
"Until someone cuts off my tongue."
"You know, I do have a pair of scissors in my locker," mentioned Lizzie.
"Jeffrey likes you and you said you really liked him," Andrea reminded. "Why is he not your boyfriend?"
"Because we haven't discussed that yet," answered Skye.
"Then discuss it."
"It's not that easy."
"It actually is," said Madeline. "You just make it look hard."
"Look, if Jeffrey feels the same way that you guys do, he'll say something."
"He won't say something; he'll say nothing. Jeffrey is a shy guy; he only talks when you talk."
"I'm not just gonna pressure him."
"Skye, if you like him, just take him. You can't just live fifty years being with him without sealing a deal. He might never say anything. That doesn't mean he's not feeling it. Give him what you want because you two want the same thing, there you go. You can't just leave him hanging. Let's talk to Lizzie. Lizzie?"
"Hmm?" she hummed.
"How long have you known Warren?"
"About a couple of months."
"And how long have you dated him?"
"Three quarters of those couple of months."
"And have you sealed the deal?"
"Girl, I didn't just seal the deal; I locked it up in a package."
Madeline tittered. "And do you regret it?"
"No, but I regret saying that last line because I don't know what that meant."
"See, Skye? Lizzie has a boyfriend and she's still the same. Still the same."
"And that would apply to all of you?" questioned Skye.
"Of course. I don't have a boyfriend but when I meet the one, it's a promise that I will lock him down."
"Same with me," agreed Andrea. "When I want someone, I take him because sabes que, life is too short for someone to take all the candy."
The girls then looked at Debra, who was extremely quiet.
"Debbie, do you want to add anything?" asked Madeline.
Debra looked at her friends with zigzag eyes. "No thanks," she replied quietly.
"What's wrong, Debbie?" asked Lizzie.
"And don't lie to us because I can smell a liar," said Madeline. "Trust me, I'm a liar."
Debra looked down then shrugged her shoulders. "I kinda have a boyfriend."
"Ooh!" uttered Andrea.
"And you never mentioned him?" asked Madeline.
"I was waiting for the right time," Debra responded.
"There's no wrong time to tell your girlfriends you have a boyfriend," said Andrea.
"What's his name?" asked Lizzie.
"Travis," answered Debra.
"Does he go here?" Madeline then asked.
"Yeah."
"I can't wait to meet him," admitted Andrea. "Can we meet him?"
"I-- I can try."
"Yay!" Lizzie clapped.
The girls smiled, with Debra half-smiling and Skye licking her teeth with her mouth closed.
"I would declare a toast," started Madeline, "but you girls don't eat lunch so I'm going to toast myself."

No comments:

Post a Comment