Monday, July 27, 2015

U.F.No's (Chapter 2)

The next day, Lizzie was still shook up about witnessing a U.F.O. outside her window the other night. She went to class with an inability to concentrate. Especially in history class where she and the rest of her classmates had to write an essay on anything involving the 1950's. She chose to write about McCarthyism, feeling it was the only thing in class that she understood. After the bell rang, the teacher closed the door and stood in front of the class.
"Good morning, guys," she said. "You know what day it is: essay day. Hooray! So who would like to go first?"
The students sat quiet at their desks.
"Huh, nobody ever wants to go first. That's okay; I'll pick." She pointed towards random students while uttering, "Eenie, meenie, miney, Lizzie." Her finger stopped at Lizzie's direction.
Hearing her name stunned Lizzie. But she did not care. She picked her paper up from her desk and scooted out her chair to get up. She walked up to the front of the classroom and stood facing the attentive students.
"I wrote my essay on McCarthyism," she announced.
"Ooh, fun!" commented the teacher, sitting on her desk.
"'McCarthyism was created by  Jesse McCartney--'"
"Don't you mean Joseph McCarthy?"
"Oh, yeah. That makes sense. Typo. '--who was a senator who believed that communists were working for the government. He accused certain people of communism, causing them to lose their jobs. Some of those people along with others thought that McCarthy was crazy and should have kept his beliefs to himself like how my friends thought when I told them I witnessed an alien outside my window. They looked at me like a lunatic but I saw what I saw.'"
"Um, Lizzie?" The teacher chuckled. "The essay is not supposed to be about you. Okay? It's supposed to be about a subject in the 1950's like McCarthyism. The essay is about McCarthyism, right?"
"Yes, right. I'm sorry; I'll just skip that part."
"Thank you. I'm grading you."
"'People thought that Joseph McCarthy was the real communist because of all of the rumors he spread. Some even called him a criminal for ruining innocent people's lives. But McCarthy wouldn't have said there were communists if he didn't encounter any. Just like how I saw a U.F.O. and told my friends about it but they didn't believe me. What, they think I'm just saying it to say it? No, I am perfectly sure that I witnessed--'"
"Lizzie!"
Lizzie turned around to look at her teacher.
"You're doing it again."
"Oh, yeah. Sorry."
"Lizzie, is that whole essay about your friends and aliens?"
"No! No, no. I was ad-libbing. Just wanted to provide examples."
"Well, can the examples be less personal?"
"Okay. Sorry once again. 'However, McCarthyism, today, can be referred to the use of unfair allegations. For example, to my friends, I 'allegedly' saw a space ship outside of my house. But it's not alleged! I swear I saw a space ship with my own eyes.'"
Tired of the "alien" talk, the history teacher hopped down from her desk and grasped Lizzie's arms to pull her away. But Lizzie tried not to budge. She continued reading her essay to the confused class.
"Okay, Lizzie, that's enough," said the teacher, trying to move Lizzie.
"No, I'm not done," Lizzie waved her arms to shake off the teacher's hands.
"Oh, you're done."
The teacher reached for Lizzie's paper but Lizzie kept twisting and turning to fight shy of the teacher's grabs. She continued to read from her paper:
"The alien parked itself in the sky above my house and probably watched me through my window. I am not happy to witness the alien because he could've seen me undress and that is not a nice feeling."
"Give me the paper!" The teacher continued to grab the paper. But Lizzie kept moving her arms, moving around the paper.
"Back off, oldie!"
"Who you callin' old? I just turned thirty."
Since the teacher couldn't get Lizzie's essay, she grabbed her arms and engaged in a struggle with her. Lizzie attempted to read her paper even though it kept moving around, making it almost difficult to read.
"It may be h-hard to believe but aliens are real. Just check your window: they may already be out there. Take it-- Take it from a witness; believe in... what I believe. Don't think it's the moon or a balloon because it is not."
The teacher grabbed Lizzie from behind, picked her up then wriggled her into her arms, carrying her baby-like style.
"Aliens exist!" Lizzie shouted, holding her now-crumbled piece of paper.
The teacher carried Lizzie out of the classroom as the students watched in incertitude.
"Aliens exist! Aliens exist! Aliens exist!" Her voice faded as the teacher kept walking further and further into the halls.

No comments:

Post a Comment