Friday, July 3, 2015

Oh, Baby (Chapter 5)

The next morning, Lizzie did what she said and found a quiet way to sneak inside her house into her bedroom to get her red backpack. She looked around the room as if it seemed different to her, even though it had been unfazed. She snuck out without her parents even turning their heads to a noise. She pulled the car keys out of bag and used to them to drive her car to school. The missing car and the empty parking space later caught the parents' attention.
Later that day, after school, instead of driving to Debra's house, she drove to her own house. During school, she took her time to think about what Debra said to her. Lizzie slowly realized that she was wrong and taking everything the wrong way. She entered her home, with her mandatory clothing on, and walked in to spot her poker-faced mother sitting on the couch. Of course, her demeanor changed when she saw Lizzie come in.
"Hi, Elizabeth," her mother greeted.
"Hi, Marie... -abeth," Lizzie responded.
"I see that you finally decided to come home."
"Yeah, I couldn't stay away."
"Well, I was worried sick about you."
"I told you I went to a friend's house."
"But I don't know which friend."
"I don't think you even know any of my friends' names."
"Of course I do. There's... Margaret and Amanda... and Deirdre and... Skinny."
Lizzie stared. "Close enough."
"But I'm your mother; it's my job to worry."
"Mom, you have to understand that I was angry. I was looking in one direction while you were looking in the other. Ha, One Direction."
"I'm sorry, Lizzie; I was being selfish. I can't expect you to accept another person in your life just because me and your father are ready to."
"No, mom, don't be sorry. I was being selfish. You guys should have as many children as you want. Boy, that would be a lot of sex."
"Please stop saying 'sex'."
"What do you want me to say?"
"I don't know. 'Snickerdoodling'?"
"Fine. Mom, you and dad should snickerdoodle all you want."
"You know what? I don't like that word either."
"Okay. Irregardless, I shouldn't have taken the news the way that I did. You weren't selfish; you were actually thinking about me. And the more that I thought about having a baby brother... the more excited I became. I'm ready."
"Are you sure?"
"Yes, mom. I'm becoming an adult and I need to behave more like one. To think about it, I already am because I'm using hard words like 'irregardless'."
Lizzie's mother laughed. "I'm so happy you feel this way."
"And I'm so happy that we're having a baby. I love you, mom."
Her mother grinned then stood up. She leaped over to Lizzie and squeezed her tight.
"And since I'm becoming an adult, maybe you can let me wear what I want."
"Not going to happen," the mother said before releasing.
"Phooey."
"And being an adult doesn't mean you can snickerdoodle."
"I know. I thought you didn't like that word."
"Meh."
"What if we say 'jumping on the kayak'?"
"No, how about 'tally-whacking'?"
"What about 'pickle-tweezing'?"

No comments:

Post a Comment