Wednesday, July 22, 2015

XBF4E (Chapter 5)

The girls had been attending the Friendship Forever program for about less than a week and Lizzie and Andrea were not getting better. They felt like they were wasting their time going to the program but the other three did not want to give up. They wanted their best friends to make up so they can all spend time together as usual.
"Hoping that this would knock some sense into you two without one of you knocking one another out," started Reginald, "I requested for your friends to write a letter on how they feel about you two fighting."
"Letter?" inquired Andrea. "Why don't you say how you feel to my face?"
"Because it's easier to write things down than say them," responded Debra, "and trust me, I had a lot to say."
"Madeline, do you want to read yours first?" asked Reginald.
"Gladly," she answered, flattening a piece of paper that rested inside her T-shirt, made for the program. "'Dear Liz' and Andy, it hurts me to see you two fighting. You guys seemed like sisters which made me a bit jealous because I've known Lizzie longer than I've known Andrea. But it's good that I was jealous because that's how close you two were. I hope you can do me and the rest of the girls a favor and become sisters again so we can all be family.'"
"Very touching, Madeline. Debra, you?"
Debra cleared her throat and looked down at her paper. "'Lizzie and Andrea, why are you doing this? I know you girls have your reasons but this has been going on for too long. There's no way you hate Lizzie for being an 'idiot' if you've been with her for a long time. And you can't hate Andrea for being mean even though you were with her long enough to notice. Therefore, it's too late to be mad at each other. Besides, think about what you two liked about each other. That can't fade away and neither can your friendship. You two make a flower together; don't stop watering it. Love, Debbie.'"
"Powerful. Your turn, Skye."
Skye unfolded her piece of paper and started to read it. "Lizzie, Andrea, stop it! Okay, you two didn't fight before so why is it okay to fight now? I know Lizzie went to that concert and everything but Pitbull is going to come back. And Lizzie, Andrea is mean to all of us so don't act like you're the only one. Okay, this is bogus. I love you two but you guys just sometimes drive me insane. So make up and we can stop attending this lame program.'" Skye folded her letter back up then crossed her arms.
"That was lovely, Skye," Reginald nodded. "So Lizzie, Andrea, how do you feel about your friends' letters to you?"
"Typical Skye," said Andrea, shaking her head but in acceptance.
"The letters were sweet," shared Lizzie. "It breaks my heart that you all are unhappy with this but I can't be friends with Andrea. She's mean. She's like the dictator in that war who was taking over Cube or Cuba."
"Fidel Castro?" inquired Madeline.
"Exactly! She's Fidel Castro."
"Oh, real rich," Andrea chuckled with a frown. "Every time you talk, you just sound more racist. Castro is a Cuban ruler and I'm from Puerto Rico."
"I thought you were Mexican."
"Ah dios mio, I will hurt you until you die."
"Guys, stop looking into the hate and look for the love," said Madeline. "I know it's still there somewhere and you can't give that up."
"Maddie, people can choose who to not love."
"Good to know because I don't love you," confessed Lizzie.
"This is so ridiculous," groaned Madeline. "Lizzie, remember Giselle?"
"Oh, it hurts to remember her."
"I understand that because she was a lunatic who's going to be locked away for a long time. But before she was, she was going to hurt you. Maybe even kill you. But who saved your life that day Giselle turned?"
"Andrea." Lizzie almost didn't want to say it.
"Exactly. If it wasn't for her, you would've end up looking like a curly fry. Now Andrea, who fought that estranged dog to protect your birthday cake at your quinceaƱera?"
Andrea crossed her arms. "Lizzie," she almost held her name back like vomit.
"That's right. It was Lizzie. She jumped in front of that dog and got bit enough times to get three rabies shots. If it wasn't for her, we would've never tasted such a delicious cake."
"It's true," Debra agreed.
Lizzie scoffed. "I probably would've been able to defend myself."
"And I've had better cake," said Andrea.
"Alright," said Skye. "I didn't want to have to do this because I didn't want to do this at all. But since you guys are still being stubborn, here goes."
Skye took her phone from her jeans' pocket and turned it on and started swiping on the screen with her finger. The people in the room were silent, waiting for what Skye was going to do. Madeline and Debra had an idea of what Skye was going to do.
"I have been told that this used to be you guys' favorite song ever since it played at a fifth grade dance where you two decided to be each other's dates," she declared.
Skye poked the screen of her phone then music started to play, loud enough for everyone to hear it. It was "True Friend" by Hannah Montana, an old teen pop song. Lizzie's and Andrea's eyes lit up when they heard the song. They glanced at each other, sharing an awestruck expression.
"I haven't heard this song in a long time," shared Lizzie.
"I'm glad for myself that it's been a long time," confessed Skye.

We sign our cards and letters "B.F.F."
You've got a million ways to make me laugh

"I remember this," Lizzie added.
"Well, I don't remember this song," Andrea shared, looking at Reginald. She then switched her eyes to Lizzie who began singing along to the song.

 You know the secrets I could never tell
And when I'm quiet, you break through my shell

Not being able to help it, Andrea decided to sing along, too.

Don't feel the need to do a rebel yell
'Cause you keep my feet on the ground

Then the two, who were singing together, started looking at each other and swaying their bodies to the melodious music. They tried to exert an emotion in their singing but it wasn't too obvious since they were horrible singers.

You're a tru-ue friend
You're here 'til the end
You pull me inside when something ain't right
Talk with me now and into the night
'Til it's alright again
You're a true friend

The girls stopped singing and started crying. They hugged each other into an anticipated embrace, making their friends gesture that they finally got what they wanted. The two girls sobbed into each other's shoulders.
"Oh, Lizzie," quivered Andrea, "I'm sorry for calling you stupid. You're not that dumb."
"Thank you, Andrea," Lizzie whimpered. "But I should be the one who's sorry. I'm sorry for discriminating you. I may be a little racist sometimes but that's because I don't understand your culture. That doesn't mean I don't accept it. I accept your race, Andrea, because you're my best friend."
"No, you're my best friend."
Skye paused the song on her phone. The two released each other and wiped the tears from their cheeks.
"Oh, I ruined your shirt," sniffled Lizzie, looking at the wet black stain on the sleeve of Andrea's program T-shirt.
Andrea twisted her neck to look down at it. "Oh, it's okay. It's an ugly shirt anyway."
"Do you want to go to this new restaurant that's a few blocks from here? We can order some Mexican rice. No, wait, Mexican and Puerto Rican rice."
"Of course, Liz', as long as you're paying."
Andrea wrapped her arm around Lizzie's shoulders; Lizzie did the same to Andrea. They smiled at each other before walking together out of the classroom.
"Aw, happy ending," commented Madeline, placing her hands on her chest.
"Yes, can we leave now?" asked Skye.

No comments:

Post a Comment