Sunday, July 19, 2015

XBF4E (Chapter 2)

Andrea did not see Lizzie until Monday afternoon. The girls would regularly see each other in the morning but Andrea parted ways. When she saw Lizzie during lunch, she did not know what to say. The atmosphere was almost awkward, especially for the rest of the girls.
"So it's French Fry Monday," Skye broke the ice, picking up a dry French fry from her cardboard tray. "They should've waited until the week to have French Friday."
Debra and Lizzie giggled.
"Yeah, it's... not that funny. So how was everybody's day?"
"Jackson broke up with his girlfriend," Madeline confirmed, "so I might ask him out this week. If he says yes, I might have to take him out on Friday because I'm going on a date with Guy on Saturday."
"Why are you still going out with that Guy guy?" asked Debra.
Madeline paused but for two seconds. "You just said, 'Guy guy'."
"Oh, I did."
The girls giggled.
Skye jested, "'Hey, what was that guy's name?' 'Guy.' 'Oh, thanks, guy.'"
The girls' laughs became louder.
"Oh, my life is funny," sighed Madeline. "Andrea, you want to say something now?"
Andrea's giggly smile dropped and silenced. "Oh, yeah, of course." She pushed up her crushed aluminum foil of steak residue to make room for her arms to rest. "Um, Lizzie, I need to talk to you."
"Sure, Andy," said Lizzie. "What is it?"
"Well, my sister--"
"Lindsay."
"Linda."
"Oh, yeah, that's right."
"Yeah, she became a little upset when you didn't arrive to her party."
"Oh, how upset was she?"
"Well, she cried, she yelled, she bit people, she cried, got better then cried again."
"Aw, I didn't think my presence was that important."
"Well, ours wasn't," added Skye. "Yours were."
"Oh. I'm sorry your sister cried and freaked out and stuff."
"Hey, she's over it," said Andrea. "For now."
"I'll make it up to her. I can give her some of my clothes."
"No."
"Okay, that's fair. Uh, maybe I'll stop by the mall and buy some perfume."
"That would be nice. You know what, dealing with Linda was very exhausting so I started to be furious at you. But since that day is over, I can't stay mad at you forever just for attending some concert."
"That reminds me," started Skye. "Whose concert did you go?"
"Pitbull," answered Lizzie.
Andrea's warm smile disappeared. "Pitbull?"
Lizzie nodded. "Yeah."
"Mister Worldwide, Pitbull?"
"Yes, it was fun."
Andrea paused with a menacing look. "I'm going to murder you."
"What?"
"I am going to murder you."
"Why? What did I do?"
"What did you do? You should know. I love Pitbull! He's my favorite singer!"
"I thought Jennifer Lopez was your favorite singer."
"Yes but Pitbull's second. And if he's near me, I'm going to be near him, don't you understand? I cannot believe that you went to a Pitbull concert and didn't invite me."
"You were at Linda's birthday party."
"Oh, you said you forgot."
"I did."
"Well, why did you even think about going?"
"Kari was going to go to the concert with a friend but that friend got sick. So Kari offered me the extra ticket."
"Why didn't you give the ticket to your mother or something?"
"Andrea, my mom doesn't like Pitbull."
"I don't care. You went without me. Therefore, I'm going to murder you."
"Andrea, you can't kill me over something stupid."
"Something stupid? You said the concert was fun. You're the one who's stupid."
The girls were silent. They made surprised faces while looking at the two.
"Andrea," whispered Madeline.
"Why would you call me stupid?" asked Lizzie.
"Because you are," responded Andrea. "And everybody knows, Lizzie. They just won't say it because they don't want to hurt your feelings."
"So why are you saying it to me?"
"Because I want to hurt your feelings."
"Really?"
"Yeah. You ask the stupidest questions and you say the dumbest things. I'm surprised that you even made it this far in school because you should be in the second grade."
"Well, you should be taking more classes on how to speak English."
"What?"
"I can hardly understand you anyway."
"So you're going to insult me for speaking Spanish, my first language?"
"You're insulting me for being stupid."
"You are stupid."
"And you're Spanish."
"It's like talking to a baby. You don't even know what three times three equals."
"Don't bring up hard math questions."
"That's a hard math question?"
"You're freaking out over nothing. Pitbull is not a God."
"Yet you still went to his concert. I-- I-- I can't be friends with someone who doesn't care and doesn't understand me because they own a crumb-sized brain."
"Well, I can't be friends with someone who freaks out over nothing like the Hulk from Fantastic Four."
Andrea stood up. "At least my boobies aren't spilling over my top."
Lizzie stood up as well. "You're just jealous because you can't wear tops like this, love handles."
"Oiga, Lindsay Slow-han--"
"Girls, girls," Madeline stood up and put her hands on Andrea's shoulders, planning to push her back down in her seat. "Are you two really going to fight over a concert? I mean, yeah, Pitbull is kinda cool--"
"Kinda cool? He's all that! And I made it very clear to you all that I love him. But somehow, Lizzie didn't get the message so I now know who my real friends are."
"Please, you are no real friend to me," Lizzie confessed, "and you never were. I'm out of here." She took her legs out from the inside of the table then walked around it.
"Not if I leave first," Andrea said, making Lizzie stop. She took her legs out of the table as well. "You can stay here; I'm going to eat with my other friends. Maybe I'll flirt with some boys like your single ex-boyfriend, Hank."
"Fine, you can flirt with him all you want." Lizzie crossed her arms. "You'll probably get him because he does like ugly girls anyway."  
Andrea squinted her eyes in anger. And even though her eyes were squinting, a massive fire appeared in them, alarming Lizzie of the worst to come. She paused then followed her instinct to run. Andrea chased Lizzie out of the cafeteria like a jaguar. The girls looked at the two until they disappeared into the hallway. They then kept their eyes to themselves and fell awfully silent.
"Who wants my French fries?" asked Skye after the long silence.

No comments:

Post a Comment