Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Oh, Baby (Chapter 2)

Lizzie couldn't sleep that night. She lied to her parents, making them think that she was actually happy about having a sibling. Even though she lied to her parents before about other things, that lie was the one she felt more guilty about. She went to school with it running through her mind. In addition, she knew that the subject was something that she was going to talk about with her best friends.
"Should I eat more chocolate?" asked Andrea.
"That depends," started Skye. "Are you going through your menstrual cycle?"
Debra giggled.
"No," Andrea replied. "I heard that chocolate gives you softer skin."
"That is true," said Madeline. "But you need to eat specific chocolate like a Hershey bar or the unsweetened kind that comes in a package."
"So I can't have chocolate pudding?"
"No, nothing with multiple ingredients. Just natural chocolate and you'll have natural, glowing skin like mine."
"Also, chocolate brings happiness," added Debra. "For reals, it sets off a drug in your brain that causes euphoria. That's why I eat it every day."
"Well, no wonder why you have skin like Halle Berry," complimented Andrea.
"Oh, and berries are good for you, too."
"So what's new for you, Liz'," asked Skye.
Lizzie sighed, dropping her shoulders. "A whole lot."
"What is it?" asked Madeline.
"My mom is pregnant."
"Oh, that's fantastic!" commented Debra. "Congrats, honey!"
"Yeah, I guess it's good."
"Then why do you sound so unenthusiastic?" asked Andrea.
"It just wasn't what I expected."
"Maybe after seventeen years, your parents are finally having sex again," said Skye.
"Ew, Skye," Madeline commented.
"What? I'm gross."
"The child is your dad's, too, right?" asked Debra.
"Yes, of course," answered Lizzie. "It's... I don't know, maybe I don't want a little brother or sister."
Andrea gasped. "How can you say that?"
"It's just how I feel."
"Lizzie, babies are majestic," said Madeline. "Once you catch a glimpse of their tiny face, there's no looking back."
"But if I want to walk, I got to look back to know where I'm going."
"What?"
"Lizzie, once Leroy was born, I knew I would forever love him," confessed Debra.
"And I don't know who I would be without my two little sisters," added Andrea.
"A convicted criminal," guessed Skye.
Andrea squinted her eyes at Skye.
"I know and your siblings are great and adorable," said Lizzie. "Actually, I don't know about your brother, Debra. He tried to hump my leg once."
"He's becoming a man," explained Debra.
"I'm not even a woman yet. However, my point is that I won't be my parent's number one priority anymore. I'll have to share that spot with someone else. And there's a possible chance they'll pay more attention to the baby because... it's a baby."
"So you're not ready to become a sister?" asked Madeline.
"I don't know. I mean I don't feel ready."
"Maybe it's newborn jitters," said Debra. "You'll get over it."
"I'm so glad that my mother can't find love to have more children," shared Skye.

No comments:

Post a Comment