Friday, June 19, 2015

Join the Club (Chapter 5)

For less than a week, the girls were official members of the math club. Skye had trouble deciding whether she should be mad or glad within those few days. She, of course, appreciates that her friends wanted to spend more time with her but ever since they joined, the uniqueness she liked in the club was crumbling. One afternoon, Denny passed out worksheets for the members to do. Andrea and Lizzie hated doing work like that but they couldn't complain since they chose to be apart of the activities.
"Alright, you all have twenty minutes to complete the worksheets. Whoever can complete this on time will get a fresh doughnut from Dunkin' Donuts. Time starts--"
"Done!" Madeline raised her filled out worksheet. "All finished and checked over."
Denny chuckled. "Nobody likes a show-off, Madeline."
"It doesn't really matter because everyone likes me."
"It's true, Den," said one of the members.
"Okay, then," said Denny. "You can go grab a doughnut." He pointed at the rectangular box of glazed doughnuts on the desk.
"Oh, I'm on a diet where I can't eat fried foods for a month," said Madeline.
"Okay, then."
"Come on, Madeline," said her neighbor. "It's free doughnuts; loosen up a bit."
"Loosen up a bit?" inquired Madeline. "We're in math club."
"You say it like it's a bad thing."
"I mean my skin will surely loosen up when I lose some weight. Then I'll tighten it up with some avocado."
"Mix the avocado with egg," advised Andrea. "It speeds up the process."
"Got it."
"Hey, Madeline, if you don't want your doughnut, can I have it?" asked Lizzie.
"Sure, my sister."
"No, no, you can't do that," said Denny.
Madeline giggled awkwardly. "Why not?"
"It's against the rules of free math food."
"Against the rules? Okay, you didn't follow the rules of 'dance dating' when you sucked on Josie's face."
"Ooh..." murmured almost all of the members in the room.
"Are you really bringing that up?" asked Denny.
"Yes, I am," responded Madeline, "because you don't come to a dance with a date and leave that date for an equally pretty girl."
"You knew I liked Josie."
"That didn't mean you had to ditch me."
"So what? You like me?"
"Uh, no! I'm just saying that you came with me and didn't leave with me."
"You said you were cool with it."
"Ever heard of a lie?"
"I didn't do anything wrong."
Madeline stood up. "Oh, now you're Mister Innocent? Josie didn't even know you existed yet at the end of the day, you had a hot date. Why leave a hot date?"
"Maybe Josie was hotter."
"Oh. Well, I'm sorry I don't look like Lucy Liu."
"Oh, please. I know you doubted me. And it's all because I don't look like Ryan Gosling, you fake Meghan Martin."
"Ain't nobody really want you, Napoleon Dynamite."
"So am I getting the doughnut or not?" Lizzie politely asked.
"You're not," Denny said to her.
"You are," Madeline leaned to look at her friend.
"She can't get a doughnut until she finishes her worksheet."
"But the problems on here are hard," Lizzie whined.
"Then too bad."
"Hey, don't talk to my friend like that," commanded Andrea.
"Stay out of this," murmured Randall, eyeing his paper.
"Don't tell me what to do."
"Then know what to do," Randall glared at her.
"I will snap your neck."
"Good luck trying. I'm experienced with exactly seven years of jujitsu."
"Well, I'm experienced with eight years of WWE. So tell me when you want to go."
Debra stood up and walked towards the two. "Guys, guys, please don't fight," she begged. "This is a club and clubs are about unity and unity is harmony."
"Yeah, listen to Harriet Tubman," said Randall.
Debra scowled. "Oh, because I'm black? Does it look like I'm leading my Negroes to the Underground Railroad? I think not, Gingerbread Man."
"Ladies, please, no conflict of any kind," Denny pleaded to them.
"Then let Lizzie have a doughnut," Madeline put her hands on her hips.
Denny faced her. "Don't start with me."
"Let her have a doughnut."
"She's done nothing."
"Well, you have to listen to me when I say this: it's my doughnut and I'll give it to whom ever I please."
"I don't care whom you please."
"But you do, sucking face with Josie like a lollipop."
"Excuse me but she likes getting her face sucked like a lollipop."
"Oh, my God!"
"I think I'm done," Skye muttered to herself. "I think I'm done," she said loudly. She stood up and walked over to Madeline's side.
"Oh, are you finished with the worksheet, my fellow assistant?" asked Denny.
"No, I'm done with this. This whole thing."
"What?"
"Denny, I appreciate you treating me well. And I want to thank you all for letting me in like family but my job is done. It's time for me to go."
"Skye, you don't have to do this."
"I know but I want to. I want to do this." Skye wrapped her arm around Madeline's shoulders. "Thank you, Den and everybody, but I'm going to go my separate way. So ladies, let's go somewhere, shall we?"
Lizzie and Andrea got up from their seats. Along with Debra, they walked over to Skye and Madeline. They turned and walked out of the classroom together. Skye used her free arm to wrap it around Debra's shoulders.
"Why are you quitting?" asked Madeline.
"That club wasn't right for me," answered Skye. "I mean it was fun and easy and all but I served my purpose."
"But your mom wants you to join a club so you can get a job and stuff," reminded Debra.
"I know. I'm going to join the music club: a club that I was meant to be in. I bet it'll be fun but not as fun as the time I have with you guys."
"Aw, Skye," cooed Lizzie, "you said something cheesy."
"Yeah and I'm not proud of it."

No comments:

Post a Comment