Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Sweet Seventeen (Chapter 4)

An extra hour into the party, everybody was having fun. People danced, talked and sang, just feeling really grateful. Skye was having a good time as she conversed with her bandmates and her crush.
"Nice print on that tux, man," Skye complimented Kent.
"Why thanks," he said, looking down at his jacket. "I put bleach on it."
"I do the same thing with my jeans," shared David.
"Is that you guys' beauty secret now?" Skye joked.
"Maybe they were born with it," said Jeffrey.
"Maybe it's Maybelline," Kent responded.
The two shared a laugh.
"Is that the brand of eyeliner that you use, Kent?" asked Skye.
Kent leered at Skye but in a friendly way.
"Do you know where Madeline is?" asked Sean.
"Why?" David inquired. "You want to sniff her hair again?"
"Ha, no. And I can't help it that her hair smells like jasmine! No, I just wanted to see if she would like to dance with me."
"Sean, Maddie has a date," Skye reminded.
"I can make her forget about that date."
"How? By vomiting on her shoes?"
Sean paused for a second. "You got a better idea?"
"Here she comes, dude," warned Jeffrey, looking behind himself.
Madeline approached the group with a greeting smile.
"Hello," she said.
The boys' greetings scrambled.
"Hi, Madeline," Sean responded. "You look nice."
Madeline smiled and put her hands on her hips. "Thank you."
"Do you smell good?"
"Do I what?"
"I'm sorry."
"Skye, I'm going to have waiters serve you and the girls cake when we get to cut it. I need to know what size slice do you want, big or small?"
"Big," answered Skye. "I love sugar and don't care about calories."
"Why can't I be like you?"
"Don't flatter yourself."
"I think you look prettier than Skye, Maddie," spilled Sean.
"Aren't you a doll," Skye said sarcastically.
"Can I dance with you later?"
"No hard feelings, Sean," started Madeline, "but I have a date to, you know, do that with."
"Oh, well, that's okay. I'll just stick my fingers in the punch bowl-- I mean drink punch from the punch bowl when you dance with... your date. So, yay."
"Uh-huh," Madeline nervously giggled. She pulled Skye away only by a few feet. "If he sticks his fingers in the punch, I'm telling the guard to literally kick him out," she whispered.
"Oh, he won't do that until he sees you actually drink the punch," confessed Skye.
Madeline stared at her. "Then I don't want punch. I want iced tea. I have some in my basement and I'm going to go get it."
"Whatever makes you happy."
Madeline and Skye went their separate ways as Madeline walked through the crowd, only to get stopped by Lizzie.
"Hey, why are you walking around?" Madeline asked.
"Oh, I just got up to get Warren and I some punch," answered Lizzie. "Is there caffeine in it?"
"No."
"Then I might have to add soda to his drink. Or maybe coffee. Whichever will keep him awake. Or should I give him Nyquil? No, that's when you're sick. Dayquil. Wait..."
"It doesn't matter. Listen, I have some soda in my basement. You can go and give him a can."
"Cool."
"Also, there are some cans of iced tea. Can you get me one?"
"Sure, Mads. It's your birthday."
"Thank you and darn straight."
Lizzie walked off and squeezed through the huge crowd to get on the patio. She entered the house and looked for the basement door which was not hard to find since she has been in the basement before. She walked downstairs as the light was already turned on. She spotted the refrigerator in two seconds and happened to notice a couple necking and embracing right by it.
"Geez, get a room, not a basement," she snickered, walking towards the fridge.
The couple broke apart as the brown-haired girl turned her head around, making Chad's face as clear as daytime.
Lizzie's demeanor definitely changed. "Chad?!"
The girl panicked then ran off upstairs.
"Lizzie, it's not what you think," said Chad, wide-eyed.
"So you weren't kissing a girl that wasn't Madeline?" inquired Lizzie.
"Uh, um..."
"Uh, I believe it's what I think."
"Please, listen, she ambushed me. I don't know who that was."
"So you let her keep ambushing you. Sweetie, when one gets ambushed, they don't stay ambushed. You are a liar."
"Please don't tell Madeline."
"Why?"
"Because I really like her. And I know it is what it looked like but it's her birthday and I don't want to ruin it. Please don't tell her."
Lizzie exhaled through her nose. "Fine, I won't tell her."

"Madeline! Madeline!" Lizzie ran through the crowd, panting and pushing people out of the way.
She found her standing and talking to Lizzie's friend, Warren.
"Hey, what's wrong?" Madeline's attention was caught. "Where's my iced tea?"
"I couldn't get it because I have to tell you something."
"What?"
"Warren, get out of here."
Warren scrunched his forehead but eventually walked away.
"Maddie, Chad is here with a girl," Lizzie spat it out.
Madeline squinted her eyes. "I know; he's with me, silly."
"No, a different girl. She looked like Cindy Crawford and everything."
"Wait, what was he doing with her?"
"I don't know. Sucking her face off!"
"Oh, my goodness."
"I know and he was really sucking her face."
"I thought he liked me."
"I'm sorry, Madeline. I can't believe he cheated on you."
"Well, we weren't officially a couple so I don't think he actually 'cheated' on me."
"Maddie, he's your date. Dates don't suck other girls' faces off when they could suck their date's face."
"It isn't the first time my date cheated on me. But I actually, really liked this one."
"Now I ruined your birthday. I'm so sorry."
"No, you didn't ruin my birthday." Then she snapped her fingers. "I just figured out a way to make it even better."
"What's the way? Dayquil?"
"Okay, do you even know what Dayquil is?"

No comments:

Post a Comment