Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Join the Club (Chapter 2)

The next day, after school ended, Skye went down to the first floor to visit the music appreciation club to ask some questions in order to join. Her friend and band-mate, David, told her what room to go to so she roamed through the halls looking for it. There was a moment where she passed a classroom filled with arguing boys. The commotion caught her attention and she backed up to peek into the room. She saw a group of boys with the same red collared shirt on sitting at desks, shouting at each other and at the tan-haired boy with glasses standing in the front of the classroom.
"Gentleman, calm down," said the boy. "I know you're angry but be happy that you tried."
"We can't be happy, Denny," said one of the sitting boys, "because you're wrong."
"I laugh at that because I am not wrong nor ever wrong so how do you explain that?"
"We know you're wrong," said a different boy. "We just can't figure out what you did."
"That's because I'm correct."
"I don't believe that you actually think that you're correct."
"No, I know. I just did it. I am correct."
"Swear to God?"
"Jim, don't bring God into this."
More boys began to shout, overlapping their loud comments.
"Come on, guys, why can't you see it?" Den began to read the written equation on the chalkboard. "It's X to the power of six minus seven-X to the power of five times Y plus fifteen-X to the power of four times Y squared minus twenty-X cubed times Y cubed plus fifteen-X squared times Y to the power of four minus seven-X times Y to the power of five plus Y to the power of six."
"There is no way," said another boy.
"There is yes way."
"You're wrong," said Skye, entering the room.
Denny looked at Skye up and down. "Excuse me?"
"The seven is supposed to be a six."
"Ooh, she called you out," smiled Jim.
"How do you know?" asked Denny.
"Because of the pyramid," responded Skye.
"Oh, I remember the pyramid," said a boy.
"Yes, on the outside of the pyramid, it's all ones. And besides the ones, from top to bottom, are the numbers in order from one. And between those numbers are numbers added from ones from their above rows. Therefore, the seven is a six."
"She's like Albert Einstein with punk rock hair," said another boy.
"I thought his hair was punk rock," said Denny. "It kinda reminds me of Robert Smith from the Cure."
"Shut up," Skye's eyes widened. "You listen to the Cure?"
"Uh, they're the greatest band of all time I've been told. Hey, how are you so good at math?"
"Well, I used to cheat on my math tests. When I learned that some notes weren't made for specific tests I had, I decided to see a tutor. Now I pretty much can't fail math."
"Would you like to join our math club?"
"Me?"
"I'm looking right at you."
"Sure. Of course, man."
"Alright. What's your name?"
"Skye."
"Is that short for something?"
"Yes but I prefer Skye."
"Everyone, please welcome our newest member of the math club, Skye!" Denny declared.
"Wow, our first girl," said Jim. He fixed his hair then exhaled in the palm of his hand before sniffing it.
Skye squinted her eyes at him. "I'm not interested."
"Are they all?" Jim slouched in his chair and looked away.
       

No comments:

Post a Comment