Monday, June 15, 2015

Join the Club (Chapter 1)

The girls stared at Skye whose head was down on the lunch table and whose hand was holding an opened but not eaten granola bar.
Andrea decided to break the awkwardness. "Are you going to eat your bar?" she asked.
"It's full of nutrition," added Lizzie.
Skye exposed her face, flipping her blonde and pink hair back. She rested her round chin on the table while sporting a tired look on her face.
"What's the matter, Skye?" asked Madeline.
"I'm really confused," Skye responded.
"You don't know the difference between Mick Jagger and Steven Tyler, too?" inquired Lizzie.
"No, I know."
"Okay."
"I'm confused because I don't know what club I'm going to sign up for."
"You want to sign up for a club?" questioned Madeline.
"Yeah."
"Since when?"
"Since my mom told me, too."
"Why is your mom making you join a club?" asked Debra.
"So I can apply for colleges easily."
"What does a club have to do with going to college?" Lizzie asked.
"Depending on what club I join, colleges might find me useful for that. Plus, joining a club might help me get a job."
"Just work at McDonald's," suggested Madeline.
"Uh, I don't want to work at McDonald's. Plus, I don't think they hire people who look and act like me."
"What's wrong with the way you look?" asked Lizzie.
"I look like that if my middle name was anything, it would be 'Vandalism'."
"Okay, but nothing's wrong with the way you act," said Andrea.
"Yeah, I guess I'm an original people person. Hey, do you want to know a fact that I thought was interesting?"
"What?"
"The average human ingests at least eight spiders in their lifetime. I guess it happens when you're asleep since spiders like to weave webs in bedrooms. But anything can actually happen while you're asleep like getting murdered."
Andrea stared at chill Skye. "Sabes que, maybe there is something wrong with the way you act."
Skye's forehead crinkled.
"How about this?" started Madeline. "You can join me in debate club."
"I don't think I fully comprehend debate club," said Skye.
"Oh, it's easy and lots of fun. We discuss our opinions on social issues like the way the government runs things."
"I don't like the government."
"Maybe you can talk about why at debate club."
"And people will listen?"
"Yeah, but of course, there are going to be some people to express their opinions which will be the opposite of yours."
"Why would I want to listen to someone talk about how much they love government?"
"That's how some people feel."
"But nobody's going to convince me to like it."
"You may never know."
"I know nobody's going to convince me."
"You know what, Skye? If you don't like what you hear, just don't come."
"Don't worry; I wasn't even thinking about coming."
Madeline dropped her shoulders down.
"So what club that you think sparks your interests?" asked Debra.
"Hmm..." Skye began to think. "I don't know if there are any music clubs."
"There are a few. Like glee club--"
"No."
"Okay, I know there's a new club for music appreciation and instrumentation."
"Oh, my friend, David, mentioned that club. He joined it not too long ago ."
"Oh, then that's good," said Andrea, "because you'll already have a friend."
"But you could have a friend if you join debate club," Madeline added.
"Maddie, I'm not joining your government-loving club," Skye declined.
"We talk about other things, too!"
"Do you guys talk about Bono?"
"Uh..."
"I thought so."

No comments:

Post a Comment