Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Join the Club (Chapter 3)

More than a week after, during school, lunchtime had started and the girls went to the cafeteria to eat together as usual. Skye was yet to tell her friends that she decided to join math club because she felt embarrassed about her club choice. But it was better to tell them sooner or later so she planned to speak of it during luncheon.
"Do you think my nails are too long?" asked Lizzie, eyeing her long, naked fingernails.
"I didn't even know you could grow them that long," commented Andrea.
"Oh, it's a rational length," stated Madeline.
"Okay, is there something you don't know, smarty-pants?"
"I don't know why girls like to apply green lipstick. Green is totally not a natural lip shade."
"It's a natural lip shade for aliens," joked Skye. "Maybe that's the new trend going around."
"Ooh, do you think people will start wearing those Princess Leia buns?" asked Lizzie, hovering her hands around her head.
"I hope not," Madeline responded. "Every girl will look like they glued cinnamon buns to their hair."
Andrea giggled. "Lizzie, if you want your nails to be shorter, you should go to the salon. In fact, we should all go."
"Would Saturday do?" asked Madeline.
"For me, of course."
"Yeah, I can get a mani on Saturday," said Lizzie.
"I know I'm free," Debra remarked.
"What about you, Skye?" questioned Madeline.
"Uh, I won't be able to make it," answered Skye. "I'm attending a gathering with the guys."
"What guys?" asked Andrea.
"The guys from my club."
"Oh, the music appreciation club?" Debra inquired.
"Oh, no, I forgot to tell you all. I'm in math club."
"Math club?" Madeline asked.
"Yes, I am."
"With nerds?"
"I believe the correct term is 'geek American'."
"Since when were you good at math?" Andrea asked.
"When I stopped using cheat sheets."
"But why math club?" asked Lizzie.
"Why all the questions? I don't know why I chose math club. It's just easy and fun."
"Honey, I may be passing math but that don't mean I think it's fun," Madeline commented.
"Like what are you going to do at the gathering?" questioned Andrea. "Play strip chess?"
"If that's all what's there," replied Skye.
Andrea relaxed her face towards Skye's quip.
"Okay, so Skye won't come with us to the salon," said Madeline. "But we still have movie night."
"Oh, I won't be able to make it," said Skye. "I have to use Friday night to work on the playlist."
"Playlist?" Andrea's eyebrow went up.
"Yeah, the boys asked me to make a playlist for their club full of 'empowering anthems'. I think Fall Out Boy got some good songs."
"That's okay," said Madeline. "At least we have shopping on Wednesday."
"Actually, I have stay at the club until six so I won't have time to go shopping."
"So you have a math club schedule?"
"Yeah, actually, I do. It's basically a calendar for the next six months."
"Six months?" inquired Lizzie.
"How long were you planning to attend this club?" asked Madeline.
"For as long as I wanted," answered Skye.
"Did you really have to have chosen math club?" asked Andrea.
"You know, this table has been filling up with nothing but question marks. Listen, my mom wanted me to join a club and I did. Plus, you guys encouraged me to do this."
"Yeah but we didn't want you to join a club where they didn't let you do anything," said Madeline.
"They let me do things and they happen to be fun things. Sorry I'm having fun."
The girls sat silent.
"Apology accepted?" Lizzie tried to break the silence.

No comments:

Post a Comment