Friday, June 5, 2015

Sweet Seventeen (Chapter 1)

On a special sunny school day, lunchtime had started and the girls were brought together at the cafeteria. Madeline was the last to enter as she strutted in with several decorated envelopes in her hands. She flung them down on the table and sat down.
"Bam!" she uttered. "Anyone wanna guess what these are?"
"Acceptance letters?" guessed Lizzie. "Ah, you've been accepted into Yale? Congratulations!"
"I was not accepted into Yale."
"Harvard?"
"No."
"Princeton?"
"No."
"Any smart school?"
"I haven't been accepted into anything... yet."
"Obviously," said Skye. "What acceptance letter is sent in an envelope of craft store glitter?"
"These are invitations to my birthday party for next week."
"Oh, coolio!" Debra remarked, taking one of the envelopes.
The rest of the girls took an envelope.
"Are we the first to receive these?" asked Andrea.
"Of course," answered Madeline. "You guys are my best friends."
"We better be."
Lizzie ripped open the envelope, making glitter rain in the air. She took out a card that was also pasted with glitter. "Ooh, your invitations are sparkly, too."
"I keep forgetting how much you love glitter," said Skye, rubbing the glitter that was in-between her fingers.
"I'm so excited to have this party," grinned Madeline. "It's going to be bigger than my last party."
"Why? You're turning seventeen which isn't a big of a deal as turning sixteen."
"I know but the party I had wasn't the party I wanted. This time, my parents are letting me plan the whole thing exactly how I want it."
"Man, I wish I had rich parents," Andrea desired. "Maybe I would love them a bit more."
"Who are you going to invite?" asked Debra.
"Everyone that I'm comfortable being around," Madeline replied. "So I'll invite Samantha, Chrissy-- I can even invite all of your crushes."
"Well, I know Skye's crush can also be called her boyfriend," said Andrea.
Skye scoffed. "He is not my boyfriend. Yet."
"Ooh, D.T.R., Skye," smiled Lizzie.
Skye smiled while rolling her eyes.
"I'm also going to invite Chad as my date," Madeline added.
"On a scale from one to ten, how much do you like Chad?" asked Lizzie.
"Eleven."
"Ooh, off the scale. That's almost illegal."
"When are you going to have 'the talk' with him?" asked Andrea.
"Can you say something else other than 'the talk'," questioned Madeline, "because I don't like how that sounds. Uh, nonetheless, I don't think I have to. He knows what I want and I think I know what he wants."
"So instead of calling him Chad, we'll just call him 'Maddie's boyfriend'," proposed Debra.
"Now I wouldn't go that far. But please do so he can feel pressured to call me his girlfriend."
"That's manipulative," said Skye.
"So?"
"I didn't say that's not good."

No comments:

Post a Comment