Wednesday, October 12, 2016

Time to Shave Your Legs (Part 2) (Chapter 4)

While almost every senior from Laguna Beach High was on the dance floor. Everyone except for Andrea and Randall, who were together, leaning against the wall. Andrea was noshing on a plate of pretzels she received from the snack table. Randall slowly became irritated as he listened to Andrea insistently munching on the crunchy snack food.
"Could you chew any louder?" Randall snapped.
"Could you be any more snippy?" Andrea responded.
"Those pretzels can't be that good."
"Well, they're good so deal with it."
"I can't believe I'm at the prom with you."
"Well, no one put a gun to your head."
"No, they put an Andrea to my head."
"I am not a thing."
"Clearly, you aren't. You're an animal who eats like an animal."
"You know what?!"
"Hey," a male voice said.
"What?" Andrea turned her head and was immediately face-to-face with her ex-boyfriend, Kevin Christie. She was instantly frozen, looking deep into Kevin's hazel eyes. "Kevin," she finally spoke.
"You look amazing in that dress, Andrea," Kevin complimented her.
"Th-Thank you."
"Look, I know I haven't spoke to you in a while but... can we talk?"
"Gee, I don't know, Kevin. I mean, you--"
"This will only take a second. I promise." Kevin gently grabbed one of Andrea's hands.
Andrea looked down. "Okay. Can we talk here?"
"It's a little too noisy here."
"I can hear you just fine."
"Okay, well... Can he move somewhere?" Kevin pointed at Randall, who was staring at him.
"I don't think so, pal," said Randall, crossing his arms. "I was here first."
"I know but--"
"He's my date, Kevin," said Andrea. "He should stay."
"You can't tell me what to do," Randall muttered.
"Andrea, I miss you," said Kevin. "And I know it was wrong of what I did. But if you let me explain--"
"Are you here with Lorna?" Andrea interrupted him.
"What?"
"You heard me. Are you here with Lorna?"
"I-- Uh, I--"
"If Lorna's a small, blonde girl with a weird smile," started Randall, "then yes, he's here with her."
"That describes her," confirmed Andrea.
"She was wearing a cream-colored dress."
"Hey, I was talking to Andrea," said Kevin.
"Well, you're done talking to her," said Andrea. She walked away from Kevin, dropping her plate of pretzels and feeling the corners of her eyes for tears.  

Thirty minutes had passed after Madeline went to the bathroom. Calvin felt worried and decided to look for her. He walked around the whole ballroom, surveying the dancing crowd. He went out and entered the series of halls that led to the lounge. When he got to the last hall, he found Madeline, recognizing her blonde hair and purple gown. However, she was pressing a curly-haired hottie, probably Brody, against the wall and necking him. Calvin stared at the two in disbelief and did not want to interrupt them. At that moment, Lizzie and DeMarcus had just taken photos together. As they were about to leave, they caught Madeline kissing Brody as well. They also saw Calvin, who decided to go back into the halls and leave.
"Go ahead without me," Lizzie whispered to DeMarcus. "This will take a seccy."
DeMarcus nodded and exited the halls. Lizzie moved closer towards Madeline and slapped her a few times on the back. Madeline pulled away from Brody when she felt someone assaulting her.
"Lizzie, what are you doing?" she asked.
"A good thing," Lizzie responded. "You have a date. And you!" She pointed at Brody. "You're here with a possibly Swedish chick."
"Oh, yeah, I almost forgot about her," Brody exhaled, looking at the ceiling. "I hope she's still on the dance floor." Brody ran away into the halls.
"What was going on?" Lizzie asked, putting her fists on her hips.
"Listen, I know that me and Brody have dates," said Madeline. "But he was looking so good that I had to grab him."
"Man, you do like having two dates to the prom."
"Brody's not my date. I have Calvin."
"So why aren't you making out with Calvin?"
"Because he's my friend."
"Well, Calvin doesn't look at you that way."
"What do you mean?"
"Calvin is crazy in love with you."
"What?"
"Yeah, Calvin likes you more than a friend. And he was here, watching you with Brody, looking so crazy in love. You got him looking, got him looking so crazy in love."
"Uh, there is no way Calvin loves me. He is just a really good friend."
"Uh, news flash, Maddie. Every guy loves you. Why wouldn't Calvin love you?"
"Because he's homosexual."
"He's not homosexual, Maddie. He's metrosexual. DeMarcus taught me that word two minutes ago."
Madeline closed her eyes. "Okay, I'm so confused."
"What's confusing? Calvin does everything you tell him to do and that's because he likes you. He wants to be with you and he has tried to make it clear. But you never got it. I thought you were smart!"
"I am smart! It's just that... Calvin? I can't go out with Calvin."
"Really, Madeline?"
"What?"
"I forget how shallow you can be. You claim you want good guys but you never pursue good guys. That's why you're always single. You pick the wrong guys. If you were with Sean, he would have made you feel like such a princess. But you shouldn't be with Sean; he's nasty. Now, Calvin claims to have been in love with you ever since you two were kids. And you're not even going to give him a chance? He would catch a grenade for you. Throw his hand on a blade for you. And you're gonna continue going after guys who have no real respect for you? That makes me not want to respect you at all, Madeline."
Lizzie walked away, leaving Madeline by herself in the hall. She stared into the air, thinking about everything Lizzie said. Even though Lizzie usually says ridiculous things, what she said to Madeline actually made sense.

No comments:

Post a Comment