Thursday, October 6, 2016

Time to Shave Your Legs (Part 1) (Chapter 5)

A week had gone by and Madeline still did not have a date for the prom. She tried to ask out every guy she ever had a connection with. However, they either rejected her or ignored her. The list of guys she knew was decreasing faster and faster. So she decided to ask the one guy she did not want to ask: Sean Hemingway.
She drove over to his house slowly with hesitation. When she parked right out front, she stared at his house and gulped. She turned off her car and began sliding out. She walked right up to his door and rang the doorbell. As she waited, Madeline fixed her golden locks and straightened out her light pink sweater.
Soon, Sean opened the door wide open. "Hey, Madeline," he greeted her. He didn't seem that excited.
"Hey, stud," Madeline responded. "I mean, Sean." She twirled a lock of her hair.
"How did you know where I lived?"
"Well, since you knew where I lived, I figured I should know where you lived. So I asked Skye for your address and she was more than happy to give it to me."
"Okay."
"So remember when you asked me to the prom and I said no?"
"Yeah."
"Well, I was wrong. I meant yes. I would be super glad if you took me to the prom."
"Oh, Madeline, I've been waiting for this moment practically my entire life. But I can't."
"Okay, since the prom starts at seven, I'm going to need you to pick me up at six thirty. My dress is definitely going to be a pastel color so you should try--"
"Madeline, I said I can't take you to the prom."
Madeline chuckled. "Of course, you can. You love me."
"Yeah, but I met someone else. And I'm going to take them to the prom."
"Boy, stop lying."
"No, I can prove it to you. She's here right now." Sean leaned back, looking into the hall. "Babe?" he called.
Madeline slowly grew anxious as she realized that Sean actually did have a date. She became a bit agitated when Sean's date stood next to him in front of the doorway.
"Hey, Madeline," said Chrissy, Madeline's friend from debate club.
"Chrissy, what are you doing here?" Madeline asked.
"She's my prom date and my new special friend," answered Sean, putting his arm around Chrissy.
Madeline began to stutter. "W-What?"
"That's right," said Chrissy. "Me and Sean are going out." She twinkled at him.
The look on Madeline's face was not a pleased one. She was officially angry. "You've been chasing me since freshman year. You ask me out almost every day and every time, I tell you no. Now, since senior year is almost up, the first thing you want to do is move on?!"
"Madeline, calm down," Chrissy commanded.
"You calm down. He's only with you because you remind him of me."
"That's not true," said Sean. "You just happen to be beautiful, smart, driven women. But you two are still different."
"How? Because I'm blonde and she's brunette? Gentlemen prefer blondes, remember?"
"Look, you didn't want to go with me to the prom so I found somebody else."
"But I do now! Chrissy, how could you do this to me?"
"Do what?" asked Chrissy. "You always complain about Sean in debate club. When I got to know him, he was really sweet and genuine. Sorry I got dibs."
"You are such a ho."
"I'm the ho? You're the ho!"
"No, you're the ho, ho!"
Madeline and Chrissy began pointing fingers at each other. When they moved closer towards one another while arguing, Sean stood in-between them and pushed Chrissy back.
"Girls, don't fight over me," he demanded.
"I am never a ho," Chrissy shouted. "You're the one who's a ho. I saw the contact list on your phone. You know, like, thirty Allan's."
"Girls, it's over. Come on, babe. Let's finish watching Sixteen Candles."
"Okay. Bye, Madeline."
"Don't you 'bye' me!" said Madeline.
Sean closed the door.
"You better not show your face at debate club tomorrow!" Madeline turned around and walked away, almost tearing up. On her way to her car, she was stopped by some person.
"Hi, Madeline," said Calvin. "Are you crying?"
"No," she said, sniffling. "I was about to."
"Well, what's wrong? Tell me."
"Wait, what are you doing here?"
"I live here."
"You live here? Next to Sean?"
"Yeah."
"Oh, man! So if I was to come to your house, Sean would've been right next door? Gosh, I almost feel violated."
"Why are you upset?"
Madeline's voice broke. "All I want is a date to the prom. I know it sounds stupid but I remember loving prom last year and I just want someone to share that love with. Of course I could be with my friends but they all got dates. I just don't understand why I'm not approachable. I'm Madeline Louise King!"
"I know."
"Nobody wants to go with me. Brody is taking some Swedish chick; Jackson is with Priya; Homer won't even talk to me; I called Terry and he says he has a girlfriend; Sean decided that he wants to take out a clone of me. It's completely outrageous. I can't believe there's nobody who likes me."
"I like you."
"Oh, it's not enough. You know, maybe I should propose to celebrities like some kids do on the internet. Maybe I could ask out Channing Tatum."
"Channing Tatum is married."
"That doesn't mean he can't have any fun. Oh, what's the use? If no guy at school wants to be with me, why would a hot celebrity want to?"
"Madeline, do you really want a prom date that bad?"
"So badly, Calvin."
"Then go with me."
"Huh?" Madeline wiped her nose.
"I don't have a date to the prom. You can go with me."
"But I thought you like-- Oh, it doesn't matter. You know, I need to take what I can get. Thank you, Calvin. Thank you so much. You are such a good friend."
Madeline gave Calvin a short hug before running away to her car.
"Yep," Calvin said to himself, nodding. "Good... friend. That's... what I am." He chuckled but quickly put on a straight face.

No comments:

Post a Comment