Tuesday, October 11, 2016

Time to Shave Your Legs (Part 2) (Chapter 3)

After the girls were done preparing themselves for the prom, they showed themselves off in front of their parents, who were once again reunited. They all took pictures together and send their kids off to the dance. Calvin picked Madeline up from home; Kyle picked Debra up; DeMarcus picked up Lizzie; Skye's mother drove her and Jeffrey; Andrea decided to drive to the prom by herself.
The senior prom was located at a fancy hotel in Orange County. All the teenagers attending turned in their tickets in the lobby and were directed upstairs to a ballroom. Yet it was no ordinary ballroom: it was filled with changing light of color and a band was playing wild music that drove the teens crazy. There was a table clothed in white full of snacks, plastic cups and a bowl of fruit punch. Next to the ballroom was a lounge for the teenagers to chill and have their pictures taken by some professional photographers.
Madeline entered the hotel with Calvin in her arm, looking absolutely beautiful in a sparkly lavender ball gown. Calvin looked cute himself, wearing wine-colored suit with a white bow tie. Many students, girls and boys, complimented Madeline as she walked past them. The students did the same when DeMarcus and Lizzie came through. She looked gorgeous in a long, red gown while DeMarcus sported a blue suit with a red tie. Debra entered with Kyle, wearing a white mermaid dress with orange tribal patterns on the top. Kyle looked funky in a suit covered in a multicolored paisley pattern. Skye did not hold hands with Jeffrey when she came with him. They did look good together with Skye wearing a deep purple dress with black peeking out from the bottom and Jeffrey wearing an all-black suit. Andrea met up with Randall at the prom, arriving in a short white dress with gold sequins in the middle, looking like a unique belt. Randall seemed adorable in a navy blue suit with a plain black tie.
"Aw, you look cute!" said Andrea.
"Please don't make fun of me," ordered Randall.
"Why? You remind me of the teddy bear in a suit I got when I was seven."
"Well, what bride did you have to kill to make that dress?"
Andrea scowled. "Just get to the ballroom, Buster Poindexter." She walked past Randall, who followed her into the ballroom of dancing teenagers.
Madeline and Calvin were idling by the snack table, sipping punch from their cups.
"How's your punch?" asked Calvin.
"It's good," answered Madeline. "I hope they didn't put too much sugar in it."
"It's sweet?"
"Yeah. Is yours sour?"
Calvin nodded. "Yeah."
"Oh, I'm sorry. I like mine but I'm not going to drink too much. I'm on a no-more-than-twenty-grams-of-sugar diet."
"Man, you always seem to be on a diet."
"Well, it's important to stay healthy. Also, I got to look cute for all the handsome boys around me."
"Really?"
"Yeah! I mean, look at Allan Reid over there. If I was Jim Morrison, I would definitely let him light my fire."
"Oh, of course."
"Hey, watch my cup, will ya?" Madeline set her cup down on the table. "I got to go find the powder room. It will take about ten minutes."
"Okay, and when you come back, we have to dance together."
"Of course. But if they play a slow song, you better keep your hands on my waist. Oh, why am I telling you? Of course, you know that, buddy." Madeline walked away, exiting the ballroom.
"Yeah... buddy." Calvin lowered his head until he heard humming. He looked up to see Lizzie dancing her way to the punch bowl.
"Hi, Calvin!" she grinned.
"Hi, Lizzie."
"Where's Maddie?"
"Oh, she went to the bathroom."
"To pee?"
"I guess so."
Lizzie picked up a cup and the ladle from the bowl to pour some punch for herself. "I got to tell you, Madeline was so happy when you asked her to the prom."
"She was?"
"Absolutely. No one else was going to go with her so when you asked her, she felt less alone."
"Oh, right."
"I know we've been here for less than a half-hour but I'm having so much fun. I always have fun with DeMarcus and he's letting me hang out with his black friends."
"Uh, I don't think you need to mention that they're black, Lizzie."
"Oh, do they find that offensive? The last thing I want to do is offend DeMarcus. I love him so much."
"Well, that's good news. Hey, uh, can I tell you a secret?"
"Sure, I love secrets. They're like pieces of candy you stow away from other candy lovers."
"Okay, but you can't tell Madeline."
"Why can't I tell Madeline?"
"Because I love her."
Lizzie froze. Then she laughed. "What?"
"I love Madeline and I loved her since elementary school."
"Elementary school? That's a long time."
"I know and I thought it was a feeling that was gonna go away but it never has. I love your friend, Lizzie."
"But I thought you were gay."
"Why would you think I'm gay?"
"I don't know. I think it's the way you talk or walk."
"I just got some panache, that's all."
"See? Gay word."
"Okay, you don't have to bully me, Lizzie."
"I'm not bullying you. There's nothing wrong with being gay."
"But I'm not gay!"
"Okay! Are you sure?"
Calvin squinted his eyes. "Look, Lizzie, I love Madeline but she only sees me as a friend or so I think."
"Well, I don't know if Madeline likes you more than a friend. I mean, she's always talking about how great you are."
"That's because I do whatever she wants me to do. If she wants me to put something in the paper, I get it in the paper. Sometimes, I get in trouble for it but I keep doing it because it makes Madeline happy."
"Aw, you do love her. Or you're just some lackey."
"Listen, I can't tell Madeline that I love her. Can you tell her... and be subtle about it?"
"Of course, Calvin. I'm great at being subtle. Besides, it's great that you're admitting you love Maddie. Skye loves Jeffrey and she's not gonna do anything about it."
"Good to know. Thanks, Lizzie."
"You're welcome. But if it doesn't work out, you can try to be gay again."
"I was never gay!"
"Hey, there's nothing wrong with trying."
"Lizzie, has anyone ever told you how prejudiced you are?"
"No, I don't think so."
"Well, now someone has."

No comments:

Post a Comment