Sunday, October 23, 2016

Goodbye, School (Chapter 5)

    The no-longer-seniors were directed out of the auditorium into the outside. More people gathered, hugging and talking to their best friends. Skye eventually found Madeline and began singing to her.

School's out for the summer
School's out forever


    Madeline turned around and grinned at Skye. She squeezed the life out of her.
    "Hey, not without me!" said Andrea as she approached the duo.
    Madeline motioned for her to come over and hug them. "Ugh, aren't you guys still mad at me?" she asked her friends.
    "No way," replied Andrea. "I am an adult now and we need to do good things."
    "Like stop beating people up?" Skye guessed.
    "Uh, I have to rethink that one."
    "Well, I'm glad you guys are not mad at me. I hate it when you guys resent me. I need you in my life."
    All of a sudden, Lizzie came zipping towards Madeline in tears and hugged her like she was going away for a while. She cried harder than she did earlier.
    "There, there, Lizzie," Madeline said, patting Lizzie's head.
    "I see nothing has changed after graduation," said Debra after coming up.
    Lizzie let go of Madeline to hug Debra.
    "I can't believe we aren't high school students anymore," shared Skye.
    "I know," said Madeline. "I loved school."
    "Of course, you did, Margaret Thatcher."
    Madeline cocked her head and pursed her lips. "School was like a refuge to me. Like, what is us without school?"
    "She's got a point," agreed Debra, still holding Lizzie.
    "You guys, I want to go to college but I'm not ready to lose you. That's why, on this day forth, we are going to have the best summer ever. No out's."
    "What if I got to go to summer camp?" asked Andrea.
    "No out's, Andrea. And you would die at summer camp."
    "I'm all in," smiled Debra.
    "Me, too," Lizzie blubbered.
    "Hey, I got nothing better to do," said Skye.
    "Aw!" uttered Madeline. "Group hug!"
    The girls gathered and embraced each other. Lizzie was still crying.
    "Ugh, Lizzie, calm down," Madeline commanded. "You're going to get snot on my gown."
    "It's not like you're gonna wear it again," mentioned Skye.

No comments:

Post a Comment