Wednesday, October 5, 2016

Time to Shave Your Legs (Part 1) (Chapter 4)

It was another day at Laguna Beach High. The girls were yet again at the cafeteria, eating and chatting. At one moment, Calvin, Madeline's scrawny friend, came over to the table with a camera hung around his neck and notepad in his hand.
He waved at the girls. "Hi, everyone," he said in singsong.
"Hey, Calvin," the girls said.
"What are you doing here, Calv'?" asked Madeline.
"I made up a survey to use in the school paper," explained Calvin. "I was hoping if you guys would like to answer some questions."
The girls accepted.
"Cool!" Calvin held his pencil to his notepad. "So how are you guys feeling about the upcoming prom?"
"I'm horrified," answered Skye. "It's really bumming me out. I rather drink a whole liter of gasoline and run on a trail of hot coals than to go to the LSD-fueled fest full of horny teenagers known as 'senior prom'."
Calvin froze, then began writing on his pad. "I'm just going to take that as a 'I'm not so excited'."
"Dang, Skye," said Andrea. "No wonder you don't have a date."
"That reminds me: will you girls be bringing dates with you and why?"
"I--," Skye began but Calvin interrupted her.
"You're done. Any other takers?"
"That's easy," said Lizzie, putting her arm around her boyfriend. "I will be bringing DeMarcus with me because he is my boyfriend and soulmate."
"And I will be taking Lizzie," said DeMarcus, "because she is my girlfriend and mates with my soul as well."
"Aw, that's sweet," commented Calvin, writing their answers down. "Finally, do you think senior prom will be better than junior prom? Don't say anything, Skye."
"I believe senior prom will be better," replied Madeline. "As seniors, we are provided with more freedom. And because of it, I think everybody will have the time of their lives."
Calvin wrote on his pad. "Excellent, excellent. Thank you guys so much for taking my survey. You will be newspaper stars."
"Interesting," said Lizzie.
Calvin lifted his camera and took a picture of the five. "Bye, guys!" He waved before leaving.
"Bye!" all the girls said.
"For your information," Skye told Andrea, "I do have a date. His name is Jeffrey."
Andrea almost choked on her lunch. "Your ex-boyfriend?" she asked.
"That's the one."
"I thought you guys were, like, dunzo," said Lizzie.
"We are, but there's nothing wrong with going with a friend."
"That's a neat way of looking at it, Skye," said Debra.
"Well, that's perfect," snapped Madeline. "Skye's going with Jeffrey, Lizzie's with DeMarcus, Andrea's got Randall and Debra's going with Kyle. All of my friends got a date except for me. I am Madeline Louise King; every guy finds me irresistible!"
"Just go by yourself," recommended Skye.
"Didn't you hear what I said? I'm Madeline Louise King. I can't go by myself."
"But you are," said Lizzie.
"No, I'm not!"
"Oh, Madeline..." a male voice sang.
Madeline closed her eyes. "Oh, no," she muttered. "I'm afraid to look."
"There's nothing to be scared of," said Lizzie. "It's just Skye's band."
"I know, Lizzie." Madeline opened her eyes and turned her head, studying David, Sean and Kent, Skye's bandmates. Sean was standing right behind her. "Hey, guys," she smiled awkwardly.
"Madeline, are you lotion?" asked Sean, her worst nightmare. "Because I want you all over my body."
"No. Thank God." Madeline slowly turned her back.
"So, Madeline--"
"No."
"You don't know what I was going to say."
"Yes, I do and the answer is no."
"Can I at least ask so you'd know the question?"
"Fine."
"The prom is coming up and I was wondering--"
"No."
"I didn't finish!"
"There's no need. I'm not going to the prom with you, Sean. Okay, maybe I would've gone with you last year."
"But what happened?"
"I already had a date."
"'Date' as in 'dates'," said Skye.
"I'm sorry, Sean," said Madeline, "but it's a no."
"Fine, I'm used to your no's anyway," mumbled Sean.
"Hey, Skye, can we have band practice at my house?" asked David.
"Sure, Dave," she answered.
"Cool."
"Sorry you got rejected, buddy," Kent told Sean.
"I didn't get rejected," said Sean.
"Oh, no, you got rejected," clarified Madeline.
"Let's go."
The boys walked away from the table. Skye shook her head at Madeline.
"What?" asked Madeline.
"You've been complaining that you have no date to the prom," answered Skye, "and when somebody asks you, you tell them no?"
"It wasn't somebody, Skye. It was Sean."
"It doesn't matter. What's wrong with Sean?"
"I can give you a million reasons what's wrong with Sean. For example, I once caught him sniffing the insides of my shoes."
"It was just one shoe."
"It was five."
"Well, how did you get the time to catch Sean smelling five of your shoes?"
"Look, don't put this on me."
"Skye is right, Maddie," said Debra. "You're a hypocrite."
Madeline laughed. "I'm a hypocrite because I want the perfect prom date?"
"Nobody's perfect," spit Skye. "If you think like that, you'll never have a date."
"Sorry for having dreams."
"Dreams do come true," added DeMarcus.
"Don't side with her, DeMarcus," commanded Skye. "She's full of fairytale farts and princess poo."
"Ouch. I can't believe you have a date."

No comments:

Post a Comment