Wednesday, October 19, 2016

Goodbye, School (Chapter 3)

"Please welcome our valedictorian -- and my favorite student -- Madeline King!" declared the principal.
Everyone clapped as Madeline got up and walked behind the podium.
"He didn't have to say who's his favorite student," whispered Madeline's friend, Chrissy, to her friend, A.J.
"How is everybody doing?" Madeline asked into the microphone. "Wow, you all look good. You should look good; you're graduating high school. You're becoming somebody different. I'm going to tell you all a little personal story if that's okay with you.
"I was not always the smart one. I was not always the pretty one. I was not always the confident one. Actually, I still have my insecure moments. Am I smart? Am I pretty? Am I confident? But I guess that it's important to have insecurities. We need to be reminded every day that we are human. We are no different than the person you sit next to. Forget about race, gender, sexuality, favorite singer. We are all the same because we're human and we go through a ton of issues.
"I used to think I was perfect. But -- I know this will seem a surprise -- I am not perfect. I grow hair on my legs, I wax my chin, I pop pimples, I will even pass a little gas. But guess what, so do you. So do all of you. And that is totally fine. However, I used to think that was not fine. Do you know who snapped me out of it? My friends.
"Yes, the four girls I hang out with almost every day of my life. And get this: they are all different from me. Usually, girls like me will hang out with... girls like me. But I didn't do that. There was something about each of these girls that made me gravitate towards them. I've known these girls for almost my entire life. The last friend I made, I met one of them during my freshman year. What's interesting is that we all changed at a certain period of time yet we are still friends. They changed me, only for the better. I can't tell the future but I know that we are best friends forever and I believe that.
"Some of you may not have friends like me. Some of you may not have any friends. But know this: your best friend has to be yourself. You have to know yourself before anyone can know you. You have to love yourself before anyone can love you. Your best friend has to be yourself. And I know that sounds selfish but hear me out. If you don't think you have self-worth, who will? You got to believe in yourself in order to achieve your goals. Nobody goes through life moping around and being suicidal. Everyone deserves to live but it is what you do with your life that determines the influence of your presence.
"Now after this, we won't be students of Laguna Beach High anymore. But some of us will still be students. Is that a bad thing? No. What if you don't go to college? That's fine. What if I live with my parents until I'm fifty years old? As long as you're helping them pay rent, you can do no wrong. We all have a future. It is what we do now that affects our future. Whatever your goal is, start now. Not tomorrow, now. If you don't have time today, then start tomorrow. But you can't start any later than tomorrow. You just can't. You want something, go for it. But you have to do good things. When you leave, remember this: do good things. Be a good person. Be a good best friend. Be good to yourself. Just know that you're going to make mistakes along the way. But you know you're giving it a try when you make mistakes. Thank you."
The audiences applauded for Madeline as she started to leave the podium.
"And if anyone finds a sparkly, peach lip gloss anywhere, notify me. I can't find mine."
        Some of the audience members laughed.
        "I'm serious. I need my lip gloss back. It's my only peach one."

No comments:

Post a Comment