Monday, April 18, 2016

Static Cling (Chapter 2)

                Madeline was the last person to sit down at her friends' table in the cafeteria in time for lunch. She had various cards in both hands when she came in and smacked them down on the table before she sat down.
                "Read these," she ordered.
                "All of them?" asked Lizzie.
                "Just pick one."
                Each of the girls picked up a card from the pile and looked them over. Most of the cards were of a pastel color, decorated with ribbons or glitter.
                "These are Valentine's Day cards," noticed Skye.
                "I know," said Madeline.
                "'But soft! What light through yonder window breaks? It is the east and Juliet is the sun.'," Debra read from her card. "Aw! They got one that quoted Shakespeare."
                "Oh, I know that one!" said Lizzie. "Is that from 'High School Musical'?"
                "Oh, Lizzie, no."
                "Are these from Chad?" asked Andrea.
                "Yeah," answered Madeline.
                "Why is he so hung up on you all of a sudden?" questioned Skye.
                "I don't know. I mean I am super fine. Who wouldn't want me?"
                "All the guys who broke up with you."
                "Shut up. Anyway, he's being really annoying."
                "Why don't you tell him you're uninterested?" suggested Debra.
                "I have. Several times!"
                "Maybe you're not being stern enough."
                "Oh, I know how to be stern."
                In a little while, Lizzie's boyfriend, DeMarcus, sat down next to her with a tray of school lunch. He set the tray on the table before kissing her on the cheek. He then asked, "What's happening?"
                "Madeline has two boyfriends," responded Lizzie.
                "No, I don't," said Madeline. "There's this guy who has decided to bother me."
                "Oh," DeMarcus nodded. "Is that him right there?"
                Madeline turned her head and yelped, startled at the sight of her old friend, Chad, just standing right behind her. The girls almost jumped when they heard her scream.
                "Hey, Madeline," he said, trying to be bashful and nice.
                "What are you doing here?" Madeline asked.
                "I came to see you."
                "But I don't want to see you."
                "You haven't made that clear."
                "I've made it crystal clear!"
                "Just talk to him," suggested Debra.
                "Fine. You wanna talk? Let's go."
                Madeline got out of her seat and hurried out of the cafeteria with Chad following her. Once they were a couple of feet from the entrance, Madeline stopped and turned around to face him. She crossed her arms and cocked her head.
                "Okay, so spill the deets," she asserted. "What do you want to say to me?"
                "Everything I've practically said before," replied Chad.
                "Alright. So if you're gonna tell me something that you've said before, why do you think it's going to change my mind now?"
                "Because I'm serious."
                "You weren't serious then?"
                "No, I was. I just want to get my point across."
                "You did get your point across and I killed it. It trespassed so I killed it like a drone. So how are you going to convince me with a dead point?"
                "You're being really stubborn."
                "If I'm really stubborn, then leave me alone."
                "No, it's okay."
                "Chad, why are you so fixated on me now? Of course, I'm more banging than I ever was but that still doesn't mean anything."
                "I just miss you, okay? We used to have so much fun together and I want what we had again. I never stopped liking you, Madeline."
                "Your girlfriend broke up with you, didn't she?"
                "Yeah."
                Madeline tried to step around Chad to walk away from him but he blocked her.
                "But! But I realized that she never made me as happy as you made me."
                "We were together for a few months. And we weren't even together; it was more of a flirtationship."
                "Hey, it was the best flirtationship I ever had."
                "Whatever, Chad."
                "Please hear me out."
                "No. And if you don't stop stalking me, I'm gonna press charges against you."
                "I'm a minor; you can't do that."
                "I don't care! Just leave me alone or I'm gonna get my friend, Andrea, to come and kick you in the face. And you're gonna deserve it because you're gonna watch the foot come directly to your face."
                Madeline walked past Chad, going straight into the cafeteria.
                "Will you just listen!" begged Chad.

                "Ahh!" Madeline waved her arms around, not looking back at Chad.

No comments:

Post a Comment