Tuesday, April 26, 2016

Holy Mother of Debra (Chapter 3)

A few days later, Debra was at the shopping center with her mom and brother. They visited a store called, "Skintight" and Debra's mother urged her to try on some clothes that Debra aren't normally into. While Debra put on a short strapless dress in a stall in the dressing room, her mother went back into the store to find something for herself. During her alone time, Debra got ahold of her flip cell phone and deciphered who to call. Randomly, she picked Skye and briskly poked the buttons on the phone to dial her number. She held the phone to her ear and waited for her friend to answer.
"'Sup, Debs," greeted Skye's voice.
"Hey, Skye. Listen, do you got a minute?"
"No but I'll talk to you anyway."
"Okay. I know I told you that my mom was acting weird but she's acting weird. She is hanging out with me and Leroy more than she ever did."
"Why is it weird that your mom wants to hang out with you and Leroy?"
"Because she never wants to."
"Well, she wants to now. I don't comprehend what the problem is."
"Well, I kinda like not spending time with my mother."
"No, you didn't just say that, Debra."
"I mean, not in that way. I love my mom. You know I love my mom. But me and my mom are polar opposites. I'm quiet, she's loud. I'm a flower, she's a garden. I'm beige, she's the rainbow. The only thing we have in common is that we like peanuts. Who bonds over peanuts?"
"Me and Jeffrey like subs."
"Not a good example. I want to spend time with my mom. Of course I want that. It used to be all I asked for. But we're just not the perfect pair. Mothers and daughters are supposed to be like peanut butter and jelly. But my mom is strawberry jam and I'm... salad dressing. That is not a good mix."
"That sounds like something Madeline would only eat."
Debra giggled. "Don't make me laugh; I can hardly breathe."
"Why can't you breathe?"
"Because my mother put me in a tight froufrou dress and it's squeezing the good life out of me. I look like Snooki if she was a lemon."
"Ooh, that's bad. Why don't you tell your mom that you don't want to look like lemon Snooki?"
"I tried. It's like my words are going into one ear then off to Disney Land."
"Listen, Debra, you need to grab a pair of prairie oysters and put them on so you can tell your mom what you really want."
"I don't know, Skye."
"Then just tell your mom what's her deal. You know, why is she bothering you."
"She's not bothering me. I just rather meditate... and talk to Jimmy."
"Who's Jimmy?"
"Nobody. I got to go, okay?"
"Alright. Good luck with your mom. I know how scary she can be."
"My mom's not scary."
"Your mom practically beat up everyone at the Thanksgiving dinner party last year. She's worse than Andrea."
"I guess you're right about that. Have a nice day!"
"Yeah, I never do."
Debra hung up the phone and held it for a while, relaxing her arm.
"Debra, did you put it on?" yelled her mother who had just entered the room.
"Yeah," Debra replied, fixing the top of her bright yellow dress. She took a look at herself in the body mirror that was secured to the left wall of the stall.
"Does it look good?"
"Well, I look like a Lemonhead and I like Lemonheads so I guess I do look good."

No comments:

Post a Comment