Sunday, April 24, 2016

Holy Mother of Debra (Chapter 1)

Debra had some alone time to herself, closing her bedroom door to block out any noises from the outside. She took her red yoga mat from the wall and unrolled it. She laid it out in the biggest space of her room. She walked over to the CD player on her nightstand, surrounded by lit, tiny, apple-scented candles. She pressed "Play" then walked over to her mat. Soothing flute music played from the machine as she sat down, her legs in a crisscross. She placed the back of her hands on each knee and connected the tips of her index finger and thumb. She closed her eyes and listen to the male person's voice that came along with the music.
"Hello, my name is Jimmy."
"Well, hello, Jimmy," Debra responded.
"Let's begin this relaxation technique, shall we?"
"Okay, Jimmy."
"Imagine you're in the middle of a rainforest."
"I am in the middle of a rainforest."
"The air is mild and the ground is dry."
"The air is mild and the ground is dry."
"And all you hear is the rustling of the tree leaves and the whoosh of a distant waterfall."
"All I hear is the rustling of the tree leaves and the whoosh of a distant waterfall... and the sound of your sweet voice, Jimmy."
"At this moment, your bones should be relaxed. Are you relaxed?"
"Yes, Jimmy. I'm relaxed because of you. You sound so fine by the way."
"You are surrounded by crisp air with the aroma of a thousand wild flowers."
"I am surrounded by crisp air with the aroma of a thousand... wild flowers."
"Breathe into this air."
"Whatever you say, Jimmy."
"Breathe in..."
Debra slowly inhaled through her nose, moving her head back.
"And breathe out."
She released her breath, slowly lowering her head back into its normal position.
Suddenly, the bedroom door got kicked open by an extravagant woman.
"Hey!" she uttered.
Debra wasn't very startled but she opened her eyes when she heard someone destroying her privacy. She turned around and saw her mother standing by the door. She approached Debra, her excessive golden jewelry jingling at every step. She curved her glossy pink lips into a smile and put her hands on her big hips.
"Whatcha doin' in here?" her mother asked.
"I was meditating," answered Debra.
"Oh, yeah. Sometimes I forget you do that. Well, don't you sit there. Give me a hug. I haven't seen you in so long."
Debra bounced up and squeezed her curvaceous mother. When she let go, she stuck her fingers in her mouth and pulled out a strand of blond hair which came from her mother's head.
"What are you doing here?" Debra asked.
"I came to spend time with my only daughter."
"Why?"
"Because I'm your mother."
"I know that. I meant do you actually have time?"
"Yeah! I got some time off from the modeling agency. No taking phone calls for a while."
"Okay. Don't you want to spend time with Leroy, too?"
"Oh, of course!"
Debra's mother turned around and stepped closer to the door. She leaned forward and yelled:
"Leroy! Get your butt in here!"
She walked closer to Debra and waited for her youngest child to arrive.
"Hey, mom," Leroy said, entering the bedroom. "What are you doing here?"
"I'm here to spend time with y'all."
"Why?"
"Because I'm your mom."
"I know that."
"Can't you guys be happy? Your mother is here."
"We are happy, mother," said Debra.
"Good!" Debra's mother wrapped her right arm around Debra then her left arm around Leroy. "We are gonna have such a good time today."
"A bluebird has landed on your shoulder and begins to tweet a song into your ear," said the man's voice from Debra's CD player.
"What was that?" asked her mother.
"That's Jimmy," responded Debra. "He helps me relax."
"Hmm. I hope that's all he's doing."

No comments:

Post a Comment