Saturday, April 2, 2016

Death of a Dog (Chapter 3)

    The day after, the girls noticed that Madeline didn't come to school that day, which was very rare for her. So they decided to come over Madeline's house right after school. When they got there, nobody opened the front door for them. Madeline's parents weren't home and Madeline was upstairs, refusing to leave her bedroom. So the girls tried the back door which was luckily unlocked. They let themselves in and went upstairs to Madeline's open bedroom. Madeline was in her bed, still in pajamas, facing the opposite direction, sniveling into her pillow. The girls walked towards her bed and just stood by.
    "Madeline, why didn't you come to school today?" asked Andrea. "You went yesterday."
    "How did you get into my house?" Madeline queried.
    "Your door was open," answered Skye.
    "Well, then, I didn't feel like going to school. I couldn't stop crying since this morning."
    "Oh, Maddie..."
    "Do you want some tea?" offered Debra. "Maybe some tissues?"
    "No thank you," Madeline responded. "I just feel like crying my eyes out until I dry up."
    "Come on, Madeline," said Andrea. "If you keep crying, you'll turn to stone like that god. What was his name? Nibeus, Nivea, Nigahiga or something."
    "I know what will make you feel better," said Lizzie. "What if we get you another dog? A dog that looks just like Crystal?"
    "And replace the only thing that brought me joy in the world?" inquired Madeline. "Yeah, right, that'll make me better, you dog murderer!"
    "Okay, how come every time I say something, you lash out at me?"
    "'Cause you're a dog murderer!"
    "Now, Maddie, don't be so hard on Lizzie," said Debra.
    "Why not? She murdered my dog!"
    "Well, that's true."
    "Madeline, if there's anything that will make you feel better," started Skye, "tell us. Just tell us what you want."
    "I want my Crystal back!" Madeline cried.
    "Well, that's not gonna happen. Um, is there something else you want?"
    "I want to die."
    "Okay, that's realistic. That's a realistic goal so that's good. But we're not going to let that happen so do you just want to cry some more?"
    "Yes."
    "Alright. So we'll let you do that."
    The girls slowly backed up, not really wanting to leave.
    "Get well, Maddie," wished Lizzie.
    "Drop dead!" Madeline ordered.
    "You're crying; that's good."

No comments:

Post a Comment