Saturday, April 9, 2016

Girls Like Skaters (Chapter 2)

    Jeffrey rode his skateboard down the biggest ramp in the park. He was wearing a black helmet and elbow pads. He also took his glasses off, letting Skye hang them from the neck of her gray T-shirt. Briskly, he made it to the other end of the ramp then curved back down it. Skye stood yards away from the ramp, clapping and cheering her boyfriend on. He skated up the ramp, holding onto to his board mid-air while making a curve then letting go before riding down. Once he got to the other end, he did a spin move before dropping down the ramp and going up, jumping onto the flat surface where some skaters were standing.
    "Whoo!" shouted Skye while clapping. "Yeah, Jeff!"
    Jeffrey climbed down the ladder behind the ramp while holding his board. He then ran towards Skye and hugged her.
    "That was awesome," she said as Jeffrey pulled away. She handed him back his glasses.
    "I mean it was okay," shrugged Jeffrey, putting his glasses on. "It was just some simple stuff."
    "Simple stuff? I can't do that. You're a good skateboarder."
    "Thank you. You're a good girlfriend."
    "Ha, being a girlfriend is easy. I can do it in my sleep."
    "I know. You once talked me while you were sleeping."
    "I know, you told me. And I still don't believe you."
    The couple turned their attention to something else when they heard other skateboarders making a hosanna. They looked at the large ramp and saw a person doing all sorts of moves on it. They had on black knee pads and elbow pads and a blue helmet which looked like it was covering their eyes. Yet it appeared that it wasn't since they were conquering the ramp. The person was fast and looked like they had tons of experience. The fellow skateboarders watched the person in awe. Even Skye and Jeffrey were wonderstruck. When the person was done and hopped on the flat surface, many skaters applauded them, including Skye and Jeffrey. The person with the big, blue helmet climbed down the ladder with their board in their arm then hopped on it to skate towards the couple.
    "Wow, that was sick as always," commented Jeffrey when the person stopped a foot away from him.
    The person took off the strap off her helmet then took it off. She wiggled her black and pink hair out by shaking her head. "Why thank you," she smiled, holding her helmet under her left arm.
    "Whoa, I didn't know you were a girl," said Skye. "Not that girls can't skateboard or anything."
    "No, it's alright. I got my helmet from a thrift shop. A really scary thrift shop."
    Skye chuckled.
    "I'd like to see you try something intricate, Jeffrey." The Caucasian girl poked her finger in his chest.
    "Ah, maybe one day," Jeffrey smiled. "I don't want to break a femur."
    "You probably don't even know what a femur is."
    "Well, whatever it is, I don't want to break it."
    The girl laughed. Then she looked at Skye. "What's your name?"
    "Skye," she answered. "What's yours?"
    "I'm Jan."
    "How do you know Jeffrey? Skateboarding buddies?"
    "Yeah, we met here about four years ago. I'm his ex-girlfriend and best friend."
    "I wouldn't say you're my best friend," said Jeffrey.
    "Uh, yeah, you would. I know everything about you. What don't I know?"
    "Well, that's true."
    "Ex-girlfriend?" Skye's smile began to dull.
    "Yeah," replied Jeffrey. "But we only dated for a year."
    "One year but it felt like twelve," added Jan, holding her helmet with her other arm. She used her arm to rest it on Jeffrey's shoulder.
    "Why twelve?"
    "It just felt like twelve."
    "That's so random. Speaking of random, Skye is gonna perform here with her band. They're called, 'A New Yesterday'."
    "Oh, that's cool! What kind of music do they play?"
    "Alternative rock and pop punk."
    "Oh, you know I love pop punk. But alternative, not so much. I'm into the electronic sound."
    "Oh, yeah, that's right. You're not gonna do anything alternative, are you, Skye?"
    Skye just stared at them for a few seconds. "No but I got some alternatives," she responded, raising her eyebrows.

No comments:

Post a Comment