Saturday, April 16, 2016

Static Cling (Chapter 1)

    Over the weekend, the girls were individually at their homes, chilling in their own ways. Madeline was in her huge bedroom, sitting on the bed, painting her toenails a light blue. As she did so, she was talking to Lizzie on her cellphone, which was secured between her head and shoulder.
    "Is your grandmother still a bother to you?" Madeline asked.
    "No," Lizzie answered, "she's so chill now."
    "Oh, is she?"
    "Yep. We're, like, so close now. Sometimes she'll let me do her makeup."
    "Oh, that's nice."
    "Yeah. And I'll do her nails on her hands and feet but sometimes it's hard because she gets sore."
    "Well, you did back into her with your car and broke her arm and leg."
    "You don't got to remind me. Also, she has toe fungus so I get afraid of polishing her toes anyway."
    "Why are you afraid of toe fungus?"
    "Because it could turn into those talking things you see in commercials that advertise the ointment to get rid of them."
    Madeline heard a beep in her phone. "Oh, hold on a second, girl. I'm getting another call."
    "Okay-kay."
    Madeline stuck the brush in the bottle of nail polish and set it down on her nightstand. She then took her phone by the hand and accepted the call from the unknown number. She pressed the phone against her ear and said, "Hello?"
    "Hello, Madeline?" inquired a male voice.
    "This is she. Who's calling?"
    "It's me, Chad."
    Madeline scrunched her eyebrows. "Chad?"
    "Hey."
    "Hey? Why are you calling me, Chad? I haven't spoke to you in forever. And I don't even want to speak to you."   
    "Then just listen to me. Look, I miss you and I apologize for two-timing you on your birthday."
    "You're apologizing for something that happened one year ago?"
    "Yeah."
    "And you claim you miss me?"
    "Yes, a lot."
    "Chad, my number's always been the same and you hadn't call me once after my birthday extravaganza. So why are you calling me now?"
    "Because I missed you so much."
    "Uh-huh."
    "And I realized how good of a connection we had."
    "Uh-huh."
    "And I wasn't thinking when I cheated on you. No girl had a purpose in my life besides you."
    "Uh-huh."
    "And you're just saying, 'Uh-huh' without actually listening to me, are you?"
    "Uh-huh."
    "Look, just give me one more chance."
    "You had a chance and you blew it. You think because you're so good-looking and suave and blond that I can just fall back into your arms? I don't think so, honey."
    Madeline hung up on Chad and continued her call with Lizzie.
    "I'm sorry about that, girl. Were we talking about toe fungus or something?"

No comments:

Post a Comment