Sunday, February 21, 2016

Supposedly Surprise Party (Chapter 5)

    Madeline unwrapped a small box covered in paper with pink and purple stripes. She gasped when she got a hold of the exposed box. "You got me the facial wash with exfoliating crushed diamonds?" she asked Lizzie. "How could you afford this?"
    "Oh, two five-hundred dollar bills fell out of your pocket," started Lizzie, "and instead of giving them back to you, I went out and bought this."
    "You stole my money? I was looking all over for that."
    "I didn't steal it. I used it to buy this gift for you. So basically, you bought this for yourself. So don't thank me; thank yourself."
    "I want to be mad but I'm too happy. Besides, I was going to buy this for myself anyway."
    Suddenly, Sean approached the table that the girls were sitting in. He walked over to Madeline and stuck a little wrapped box in her face.
    "I got this for you, Madeline," he said, stifled with joy.
    Madeline almost crossed her eyes when she saw the gift two centimeters from her face.
    "Sorry, Maddie," said Skye. "I didn't invite Sean but he wanted to come."
    "It's okay, Skye," said Madeline. "I want him here."
    "You do? Okay."
    "Girls, can I some privacy please?"
    "Oh, sure, Madeline," responded Debra.
    The girls moved farther away from Madeline, only to push their chairs closer towards one another. They were on one side of the table while Madeline was straight across. It was not what she had in mind but quickly, she let it go.
    "Sean, I know I said I was your girlfriend," she looked up at the shrimp. "But I only said it because you were on TV and I needed some extra attention. I'm so sorry. I'm such a bad person. Therefore, I can't accept your gift."
    "Yeah, I knew this was coming," admitted Sean. "Even though it was all fake, you were the best girlfriend I ever had. So I accept your apology. And I still want you to have this anyway." He shoved the gift into her face again.
    Madeline smiled. She took the box and ripped the paper off. She took off the lid and gasped. She picked up the thin gold necklace that was laying on a white cushion smushed inside the box. At the end of the necklace was a pendant of three little hearts going downward.
    "Oh, Sean, this is gorgeous," she commented, gawking at the piece of jewelry.
    "I know," Sean said with a smug smile. "It cost a lot but it was worth it."
    "Oh, my God, Sean. Thank you! This is the best present so far."
    "So am I your boyfriend now?"
    "No."
    "Okay. But one day, I will be."
    "I doubt that."
    "Okay. Well, bye." Sean rolled his lips inside his mouth and walked away.
    The girls pushed their chairs back to their original spots. They got a better glimpse of the necklace in Madeline's hands.
    "Wow, Sean must love you," said Andrea.
    "Why wouldn't he?" Madeline inquired. "I'm lovable."
    The girls giggled as Madeline put the necklace back in the box.
    "Girls, even though this surprise party wasn't much of a surprise, I'm still surprised that I wake up every day and you all are still my friends."
    "Why is that a surprise?" asked Skye.
    "Because I understand how difficult I can be. Yet no matter what, you guys stick by my side and give me no regrets. I love you all."
    "Oh, we love you, too, Maddie," cooed Lizzie, taking her bottom off her chair and leaning over to squeeze Madeline.
    "Always and forever," added Debra.
    "Forever and always," said Andrea.
    "I just said that."
    "Well, I said it backwards."   
    "So tell me..." started Madeline, "what don't I know?"
    "What do you mean?" Andrea scrunched her forehead.
    "I know about everything, especially this party. Is there something that I don't know?"
    The girls glanced at each other, not knowing how to answer the question.
    "I stuff my bra sometimes," Andrea confessed.
    "I knew that," said Madeline.
    "How?"
    "Toilet paper would be sticking out your shirt."
    "Oh. Why don't you be telling me?"
    "I use the same filter for all my photos on Instagram," Debra conceded, not letting Andrea's question be answered.
    "How can I not know that?" questioned Madeline. "It's obvious."
    "I used to draw abs on my stomach," granted Lizzie.
    "Everyone knew that."
    "Oh."
    After a long pause, Skye admitted, "I used to light my farts."
    Madeline made a face at Skye. "Why would you light your farts?"
    "No, the real question is did you know that?"
    "No."
    "Well, there you go."

No comments:

Post a Comment