Friday, February 19, 2016

Supposedly Surprise Party (Chapter 4)

The next week, on a Saturday afternoon and the day of Madeline's birthday, she was asked by Lizzie to come over her house to have a talk and to pick up Skye. After that, Madeline got in her big car and drove over to Skye's place. Skye got in the passenger seat and Madeline was on her way to Lizzie's fancy house.
"I think Lizzie is going to tell us all 'the news'," said Skye, trying to continue the lie.
"Yeah, right," Madeline smiled. "'The news'."
"Why don't you believe me?"
"Because you're being so nonchalant about this."
"I'm always nonchalant. Is that such a surprise?"
"No but... you're lying."
"Oh, yeah? Well, we'll see when we talk to Lizzie."
"I know something is up because you made me wait outside for twenty minutes so you could find a snack to bring and eat. Don't you think that if something was urgent, we would not try to take so long to attend to it?"
"Huh, I don't know about you but I was hungry and my hunger was urgent as well." Skye opened the small bag of potato chips in her lap and began to pick at them.
"Well, happy freakin' birthday to me."
Madeline parked in one of the empty parking spaces in front of Lizzie's big house. She turned off the car and took her keys out of the ignition. The girls got out of the car and headed towards the door. Madeline knocked on the door repeatedly.
Lizzie opened the door and revealed herself. She was in the clothes that she usually wears around her parents. "Oh, hey, Madeline," she smiled. "Skye. I'm glad you guys are here."
"What's going on, Liz'?" asked Madeline.
"Come in first."
Lizzie moved out of the way so Madeline and Skye could enter. Lizzie closed the door and they loitered in the entrance hall.
"Where are the girls?" Madeline questioned.
"They're outside. I want to tell you all the news at the same time."
"Well, Skye seems to already know. You might as well tell me right now."
"Um, okay."
Skye opened her eyes wide at Lizzie.
"Well, I've seemed to tell Skye that I'm preggers."
"Oh, okay," Madeline nodded. "So you made a baby with DeMarcus?"
"Wait, I thought there were other ways to get pregnant."
Skye slapped her hand on her forehead.
"What other ways can you do to get pregnant, Lizzie?" Madeline asked, crossing her arms.
"You know, you can get injected with... what my mom calls, 'jolly juice'," replied Lizzie.
"Why would you inject yourself with... jolly juice?"
"Because I can't get pregnant if I don't?"
"Lizzie, I'm starting to have a feeling that you are not pregnant."
Skye made a face at Lizzie, mouthing, "Keep it up" through her teeth.
So Lizzie started to fake-cry. "I can't believe that you don't believe me. I thought you were my best friend but if you don't believe me, then I guess I'll have to find a new best friend. Maybe she will help me with my pregnant-ness."
Lizzie turned around and marched out of the lounge to the living room. Madeline and Skye followed her as she headed towards the open door to the backyard.
"Come on, Lizzie," said Madeline. "Stop acting so weird."
The girls went outside and witnessed a bunch of people, including Madeline's friends and family, in the yard popping up under girly birthday decorations.
"Surprise!" they all yelled.
Madeline flinched since she was obviously startled. Lizzie and Skye didn't even move; they just looked at Madeline.
"Happy birthday, Maddie!" said Debra, running up to Madeline before hugging her.
"Feliz cumpleaƱos, Madame," uttered Andrea, who also ran up to her best friend.
She gave Madeline a quick hug before Madeline could say something.
"Wow, guys," she said with a smile. "A surprise party for me? You shouldn't have. Thank you. Boy, I'm so excited."
"You knew about it, didn't you?" asked Skye.
"Yeah."
"How?" groaned Andrea.
"I'm not blind; I could see what was exactly on your phones. You bought these decorations from Party Hardy with Arty. Also, I saw a streamer sticking out of the closet when I came over Lizzie's house last week."
"Dagnabbit!" exclaimed Lizzie.
"I guess the surprise is on us," commented Skye.
"But I'm really thankful," admitted Madeline. "Thank you for throwing me my first surprise party." She wrapped her arm around Skye's neck. "Actually, this is my second one but this one is better. It's bigger. And my cake is tiers of cupcakes."
"I bought the cake," bragged Debra. "It was supposed to be a croquembouche but I figured cupcakes would be less messy... and less expensive."
"It's beautiful. Thank you for throwing me this party and pretending that Lizzie was pregnant."
"You're welcome, Maddie," said Lizzie. "And just so you know: no jolly juice is going near me."
The girls laughed together.
"Gross," Andrea commented.

No comments:

Post a Comment