Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Stupid Cupid (Chapter 1)

It was lunchtime and the girls found themselves in the cafeteria. That day, there was an epidemic: the love kind. It was the day before Valentine's day and girls and boys of all grades walked around with fake red roses and small white teddy bears. From their table, the girls were gawking at a couple who were standing a couple yards away. They had to be sophomores; their arms were wrapped around each other while they pecked each other on the lips over and over and over again. After a couple of minutes, they smiled at each other and walked off to their table, hand in hand.
"Thank goodness," said Andrea, re-positioning herself at her seat. "If they kept kissing each other, their lips would've fell off."
"Aw, young love," sighed Lizzie, interlocking her fingers, working together to hold a plastic rose between her palms. "It's just like old love except old people don't really like to touch each other anymore."
Soon, Lizzie's handsome boyfriend, DeMarcus, came by and sat down next to her.
"Hey," he said in his smooth, deep voice.
"Hey," Lizzie grinned.
They pecked each other on the lips.
"I got your flower."
"Good. I paid five dollars for that."
"Did you get my Valentine's Day gram?"
DeMarcus pulled out a plush toy. "You mean my teddy bear?"
"Oh! Good that you have it. I paid five dollars for that."
DeMarcus put his arm around Lizzie; she did the same thing to him.
"Somebody call the love police," quipped Skye. "This couple is way too much in love!"
"Don't make fun of me," demanded Lizzie. "Make fun of yourself. You got a rose."
"Yeah." Skye picked up her flower. "But I'm not all up in Jeffrey's face and butt with, 'Did you get my gram?'"
"So what would you do if he was here?"
"I'd jump on him and give him a big ol' kiss. Mwah!"
Lizzie giggled.
"Kyle is so sweet," commented Debra, holding a rose and a note. "He wrote a little poem to go with my flower. 'You are my pretty princess and I'm your royal sir. I'd ask you to be my Valentine but you always were.' Aw, that's cute!"
Kyle poked his head over Debra's shoulder. He didn't really surprise her. "I'm glad you like it, sweetie," he said.
Debra giggled as Kyle sat next to her.
"You guys are so cute with your boyfriends," remarked Madeline who was holding at least fifteen fake roses. "I wish I had what you had but frankly, I don't know which one to pick."
"I can't believe you received all those roses, Maddie," commented Lizzie.
"Well, believe it. I'm adorbs."
"Who are those from?" asked Debra.
Madeline examined her roses which had notes attached to them. "Let's see: I have one from Allen Bosworth, Allen Cocker, Allen Lemmon, Allen Turner, Richard, Dustin, Calvin, Wade, Darius, three from Sean, Chad -- ew --, Jackson, and Homer. Who's Homer?"
"Someone who apparently likes you," responded Skye.
"Well, I don't know who he is. But I'm thankful for all these roses."
"Come on, guys," said Andrea. "You don't got to rub all your roses in my face."
"Oh, I'm sorry, Andrea," said Debra. "I knew for sure you were going to get one."
"I felt the same way. I thought I was going to get one from Kevin but I guess when I told him it was over, he took it seriously."
"Aw," Madeline uttered. "You know what? I think we deserve a little vacation. Like to the fair."
"That sounds like fun," DeMarcus commented.
"But just us girls should go."
"Now that doesn't sound like fun."
"When?" asked Lizzie.
"This Saturday, on Valentine's Day."
"Aw, but me and DeMarcus were planning something romantic on Valentine's Day."
"Can't you do it on Sunday?"
"Isn't that against law of Valentine's Day dates and stuff?"
"No."
"Oh, okay then. What do you think, DeMarcus?"
"I think you guys deserve the vacation," answered Lizzie's boyfriend. "We can have our super special sentimental picnic on Sunday."
Lizzie grinned then rested her head on his shoulder.
"You had a name for it?" asked Skye.
"Yep," DeMarcus replied. "I call it the 'Three S Date'. Maybe I should call it the 'Four S Date' since it's on Sunday."
"But if you were going to have it on Saturday, wouldn't that have already been the 'Four S Date'?"
"Oh, I didn't think about that."
"It's okay, baby," said Lizzie, rubbing her boyfriend on the arm. "I don't care how many S's are in the name."
"You know what? I should call it the 'Five S Date' because I'm bringing my sweetie."
"Oh, DeMarcus!"
"Maybe it's a good thing I don't have a boyfriend," shared Andrea.

No comments:

Post a Comment