Thursday, February 11, 2016

Stupid Cupid (Chapter 2)

The next day, on Valentine's day, Madeline picked up all of her girls up so they all could go to the fair. She drove them into the heart of Orange Country for half an hour. She parked in a huge lot in front of a festive carnival. When the girls entered, everything was Valentine's Day themed. There were animations of red hearts and pink kisses everywhere. Not to mention the numerous amount of lovey-dovey couples who were doing just about everything together. The girls felt awkward just walking deep into the fair together.
"Now I want DeMarcus here with me," admitted Lizzie.
"Stop with that crazy talk," commanded Madeline. "We are here to have some fun."
"If you mean 'fun' by 'lesbianism'," started Skye, "I'm sorry but I have a boyfriend."
"No, I mean 'fun' as in having fun. We don't need to a guy to enjoy this fair. We have each other and if we love each other, then that's enough, right?"
"Yeah," agreed Debra, "but I feel bad. Kyle would've wanted to come here. We would probably get on the ferris wheel and never get off."
"Debbie, what did I say about the guys? We don't need them right now."
"You're just saying that 'cause you don't have a man."
"That's right. And do you see me complaining about it?"
"No."
"That's right, no. Because I don't need a man."
"But you flirt with guys all the time," mentioned Andrea.
"That's true but I never pursue anything with them."
"Actually, you try to," said Lizzie. "It just never works out."
"Let's not think about that. Let's about us. Our bond, our friendship. Some of us have men but right now, we don't need them. Come on, remember that song we used to sing? By the Pussycat Dolls? Remember it?"
Madeline began singing the song to refresh the girls' memories and prompt them to sing along with they eventually did.

I don't need a man
To make it happen, I get off being free
I don't need a man
To make me feel good, I get off doing my thing
I don't need a ring around my finger
To make me feel complete
So let me break it down
I can't get off when--

"Hey," some guy interrupted them.
He was looking at Madeline, who turned around when she heard him. He wasn't a bad looking fellow. Nice smile. Nice muscles. Nice clothes. Nice blond hair floating above his forehead. He had to be in his late teens.
"I don't believe we've met," he continued.
"Then why are you interrupting me?" queried Madeline like a diva. "Don't you see us singing? Like don't you see us having a moment?"
"I'm sorry."
"Good to hear but I'm with my friends right now so you can be gone."
"But--"
"Be gone!"
The arresting fellow had no choice but to leave. Madeline turned back around to face her girls.
"You see that? He was a guy and told him to be gone. So you can see how serious I am about this trip."
"We appreciate it, Maddie," said Debra, "but we're still going to miss our guys."
"I feel you, Maddie," said Andrea, "but I just want to play some games."
"At least you have the right mindset, Andy," said Madeline. "The rest of you guys are going to see your boyfriends tomorrow so there's no need to mope. You know what? You guys do whatever; I'm gonna go over to that rose stand and buy myself a rose because I am an independent woman. You guys don't have to wait up for me; I'll find you. Now will you excuse me as I buy a rose with money. Money a man didn't give me. Of course my dad still gives me an allowance every time I take his car to the wash but he doesn't count. He's not a man. He's an old man."

No comments:

Post a Comment