Sunday, February 7, 2016

Rocking on Television (Chapter 4)

The small audience in the stands applauded as light guitar-driven music played. A 40-something blonde woman sitting on a purple couch grinned into the camera as it zoomed in on her.
"Welcome back," she said. "My next guest is straight from Orange County and no, it's not Lauren Conrad. They are a band that specializes in the genres of pop punk, power pop and alternative rock. They performed on the New Year Extravaganza which garnered the most tweets than the other performances. They are A New Yesterday. Welcome."
The audience clapped as they garnered their attention to the band who were already sitting on the couch next to the woman's couch.
"Thanks for having us, Lilly Andrews," said Skye.
"How did you come up with the name, 'A New Yesterday'?" Lilly asked.
"After our band formed," started David, "we didn't have a name for a while. We would come up with names randomly like 'Sitting on Cactuses' and 'Tiger Sharks' but none of us would agree on anything. And one day, we were talking about turning our music into something more and Skye said, 'You know what? Tomorrow is to come and today will become a new yesterday.' And I was like, 'That! That right there! That should be our band name.' And we all agreed so now we're A New Yesterday."
"So basically, I came up with the name," clarified Skye.
"Actually, I came up with the name. You just said it without even suggesting it."
"I still came up with it."
"Interesting," said Lilly. "So how was A New Yesterday born?"
"Me and Sean were actually going to be a duo," replied David. "When we met, which was during sixth grade, we learned that we were taking guitar lessons. So Sean thought, 'Hey, when we grow up, let's be musicians together.' And I said, 'Sure, as long as we don't become Savage Garden, that's cool.' So as we started writing songs together, we learned that we can't sing for crap. So Sean thought, 'Hey, let's find a singer and this would be a trio'. And I said, 'What are we gonna do? Do what P. Diddy did and set up a 'Making the Band'? I don't know.' Then Sean discovers Skye at a talent show in the first year of school. He brings her to me and says, 'I found a singer for our band. She's really good and attractive.' I told her to sing for me and she did. I said, 'Alright, you're in the band.' One day, I came over Kent's house 'cause we've been friends since elementary school. He had just moved in and in his basement were a set of drums. I asked, 'Whose drums are those?' and he said, 'Mine.' And I said, 'How come you never told me you could play drums?' He said, 'I don't know.' I told him, 'You got to be in the band.' He said, 'Okay.' So that's how our band was born."
"We should write a book," Skye joked.
Lilly smiled. "It sounds like you guys have been friends at different times."
"Yeah, but it feels like we've been friends since birth," said Sean. "We've gotten that close. I feel like we're not that close to Skye because she got other friends. But she's a good friend and she lets us know that every day so it doesn't really matter if we're close to her or not."
"You got other best friends?" Lilly asked Skye.
Skye answered, "Yeah, four."
"Are they supportive of your band?"
"Yeah, really supportive. They don't listen to rock music like that but they like seeing me happy so they want me to keep doing the rock thing."
"My girlfriend actually introduced Skye to me," mentioned Sean.
"Oh, Skye's friend is your girlfriend?" questioned Lilly.
"Yeah."
"No," Skye scrunched her eyebrows. "She is not your girlfriend."
"Yes, she is. She told me she was."
"She lied."
"Well, maybe I like being lied to."
"So is the relationship complicated?" asked Lilly.
"Yeah, I guess so."
"It's not that complicated," said Skye. "Sean loves Madeline and she doesn't love him back."
"Yo, don't embarrass me on television."
"This airs early in the morning. I bet no one we know will watch this."
"Thank you," Lilly said in deadpan with a serious face. "Now your performance on the New Year Extravaganza was your first televised performance?"
"Yep. We never performed on TV until that moment."
"I did my research and it was the most tweeted performance from that show, almost tying with Ramona Munroe by ten tweets. Eighty-five percent of the tweets talked about how much they loved you, ten percent talked about how attractive David was, and five percent talked about Skye's pimple."
Skye shook her head but had a smile on her face. "I saw it coming. If I had popped it, they would talk about the scar I'd leave behind."
"How does it feel to have all these people talking about you?"
"Well, I'm flattered to hear that I'm a heartthrob now," David bragged playfully.
"The only time I wash my hair..." Kent joked.
David chuckled. "I mean, yeah, it's cool that a lot of people are talking about us. It's good to have attention when you're becoming a band because you have to depend on the fans to buy your albums and make you money. Not that we're a band for money; we do it for the music. But it's not bad to have money; maybe I want to buy a house one day."
"What David is trying to say," started Skye, "is that we won't stay signed to our label if we don't make any money. We want to release music that deserves to be heard but we won't do that unless there are people who are willing to listen."
"Now you all are working on your first album," said Lilly. "I've been notified that you won't release it until this summer instead of right after finishing recording. What is up with that?"
"Well, we've decided that we wanted to stay at school and finish our education," responded Kent. "During the weekends, we try to finish at least one song. And when we're all done, we want to start being more out there after graduation because that time, we'll be legal adults and basically do whatever we want to do."
"So you won't release any music until June?"
"Yes, that is the plan."
"This will be our last televised appearance until the summer time," added Skye.
"You're gonna be in hiding for a while?" queried Lilly.
"Yeah," nodded Sean. "We're gonna play Hide n' Seek until we let ourselves be 'seeked'."
"That was dumb," commented David.
"I know."
"Wow, it was great talking to you all," admitted Lilly. "You should come back when you guys release your album."
"Uh, we'll think about it," said Skye.
"Okay." Lilly faced the camera. "Up next, knifes versus saws. What's sharper? Find out after this."
The audience applauded, including the band, before the show went into commercial.

No comments:

Post a Comment