Sunday, January 10, 2016

The Worst Date (Chapter 5)

Debra ran all the way through the starless night and safely made it home. When she arrived, the lights were off so no one was home. It was the perfect time for her to sit on the couch in the living room and cry softly in her hands. She couldn't believe that such a night happened. She thought that she was doing everything but it ended up with bad results. She didn't blame Lizzie; she knew that she was only trying to help. But Debra knew that she would have embarrassed herself anyway. She just didn't want to believe it because she liked Drake and wanted to go on that date with him. Now she supposes that Drake does not feel the same way for her, especially not after that night.
Suddenly, she heard the doorbell ring. She wasn't going to ignore it so she wiped her inky tears and calmed down. She got up from the couch and walked over to the door. She opened it and saw her friend, Kyle, standing there with a smile and a yellow composition notebook in his hand.
"Hey, Debra," he said. "I've seen that you forgot your notebook in English and I just wanted to give it back to you."
"I forgot it?" she inquired.
"Alright, I stole it," Kyle confessed, walking into the house. "I just wanted an excuse to come over to your house and talk to you."
Debra closed the door. "Kyle, we're friends. You can always talk to me."
"What's the matter? You look terrible."
Debra began to tear up again. "I know!"
"I-I-I didn't mean it that way. I meant that you look like you've been crying."
"Yeah." Debra walked over to the couch and sat down. "I was crying right before you got here."
Kyle sat right next to her. "What happened, Debra?"
"Well, I was on this date with Drake. And that was like my first major date. I really liked him so I tried to be flirty and playful and fun. But..." Tears ran down her cheeks as she got all choked up. "... everything went wrong and I could tell that he wasn't feeling me. So I embarrassed myself and fell out of my seat and got water dumped all over me. And when things couldn't get much worse, I farted!"
"You farted?"
"I ate some broccoli! And now, all Drake can remember is the worst date of his life because his date made a fool out of herself and farted in front of him."
"Aw, I'm sorry, Debra."
"He hates me now."
"He doesn't hate you."
"Why wouldn't he? I'm just an embarrassment." She rested her face in her palms.
"No, you're not. You're cool."
"Oh, please."
"You are. You're cool; you're chill; you're funny. Any guy would be lucky to be with you. If Drake doesn't like you, it's his loss. He's missing out on a sweet, special girl and that's you."
Debra sniffled, calming down and looking up at Kyle. "You think so?"
"I know so."
"Thanks, Kyle. You're a good friend."
Kyle opened his arms to insinuate a hug. Debra accepted the invitation and embraced Kyle. They hugged for half a minute until they loosened the hug. Their fingers were intertwined on each other's backs and their faces were inches away. Their smiles faded and their eyes locked. And at the same time, they leaned towards each other and pressed their lips together. While tangled up in each other's clutch, the doorbell rang. They tried to ignore it until the bell rang a third time. Debra released herself from Kyle and said:
"I got to get that."
"Can you get it later?"
"They'll be gone."
"Good."
Debra rolled her eyes and got up. She walked over to the door and opened it. Her eyes surely were open as well when she saw Drake right at the door.
"Drake," she said.
Kyle heard her say his name.
"Hi, Debra," Drake said. "I know I've said this a thousand times tonight but are you okay?"
"Yeah, I'm fine."
"Listen, I want to apologize. I could tell that you were nervous and this date was a really big deal for you. I put all this pressure on you and I'm sorry. I hope you can forgive me."
"Drake, it's okay. Like it's--"
"I was nervous, too. I know you might not believe me when I say this but I'm not that good with... girls. You're just so beautiful and awesome and I've been dying to go on this date with you ever since I met you. I like you, Debra, and I know you like me, too."
"Uh..."
Drake silenced Debra by surprisingly cupping her cheeks and laying his lips on hers. Debra was frozen and her eyes were wide open. Kyle got up and walked closer to Debra, caught by surprise when seeing her kiss another guy. Drake pulled away with an enamored smile and opened his eyes to see Debra's face. But he ended up spotting Kyle standing a few feet behind her.
"Oh, hey, Kyle," Drake waved. "What are you doing here?"
"Oh, I just stopped by to drop off Debra's notebook," Kyle answered awkwardly. "She forgot it in English."
"Oh." Drake then asked Debra, "Are your lips swollen? They seem bigger than before."
"Oh, I'm not sure but something's swelling, alright," Debra nervously said, feeling her back getting stabbed with Kyle's daggers for eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment