Monday, January 18, 2016

Boyfriends Are Not Tests (Chapter 5)

Meanwhile, it was Debra's turn to tell her boyfriend the truth. Debra knew that Drake was going to find her because he knew what she had for last period. So when that ended, Debra stood by the door without getting into people's way. She waited almost a minute for Drake to arrive. He greeted his girlfriend with a smile and leaned forward to kiss her. But she leaned back, sending him quite a message.
"What's wrong, Debra?" asked Drake.
"A lot," Debra replied. "A lot is wrong."
"Oh, tell me."
"It's kind of hard to tell you."
"Come on. You can tell me anything. I'm your boyfriend."
"See, that's what's wrong. You're my boyfriend and I never said once told you that I was your girlfriend."
"Oh, I'm sorry. Am I moving too fast?"
"No, you're not moving too fast. I should be the one moving too fast because of what I'm about to tell you, I should've told you a long time ago. Drake, I don't want to be your girlfriend."
"Harsh."
"Yeah, I know. No, I don't mean for it to sound so harsh. I did like you. I liked you how I like peanut butter with jelly. But my feelings for you dramatically changed. You know our friend Kyle?"
"Yeah."
"He wasn't at my home just to return my book. While he was there, I realized how much I liked him and we shared a kiss... before you came to my house and kissed me."
"Oh. You kissed Kyle before you kissed me? So basically, I kissed Kyle?"
"Pretty much?"
"Okay. I'm not happy about that."
"See, this is what I was afraid of. I should've told you right there that I didn't want to be with you anymore. I strung you along and I'm sorry. I feel really bad about it. I felt really bad about it."
"Well, at least you told me the truth. Who knows how I would've felt about you if we kept this relationship up."
"You would've loved me which is not what I wanted. I mean I love being loved but not in a situation like this."
"Okay, thank you for telling me."
"You're not mad?"
"I mean, I liked you a lot so of course I'm a little mad. But something tells me that I'll get over it pretty soon. I hope that we can still be friends."
"Of course. If you need anything, you can always call me."
"Thanks, Debra. You're a good person."
Drake hugged Debra in a friendly embrace for a little while. When they pulled away, he said:
"And since I can tell you when I need something, can you spare me some money so I can buy some cologne? I could use a rebound."
"Drake--"
"I'm kidding. Bye, Debra."
"See you, Drake."
He gave Debra a smile before walking off. As Debra watched him leave with a soft smile on her face, she felt a pat on her shoulder. She turned around and faced Kyle.
"I heard everything," he said.
"You were eavesdropping?"
"No, I just happened to be listening."
"Eavesdropping."
"Yeah, I was eavesdropping."
"I'm sorry for playing with your emotions like that."
"Hey, it's fine. I know you didn't mean it. Do you really like me?"
"Yeah."
"More than Drake?"
"More than Drake."
"More than peanut butter and jelly?"
"I don't know about that."
Kyle chuckled. Debra laughed along with him. "I'll take that as a yes," he said. "Debra, I've been wanting to ask you this ever since we met three years ago: will you be my girlfriend?"
"First, if you're going to be my boyfriend, you got to stop stalking me."
"I don't stalk you. I just want to know what you're doing... at all times. I like you; what do you want me to do?"
"Nothing 'cause you're mine now."
Debra reached out to Kyle so he could hold her hand. Slowly, they walked down the hallway with interlocked fingers.
"So you can honestly say that you never tried to stalk me?" asked Kyle.
Debra shrugged. "I look at your Facebook once or twice a week."
"You are crazy; I'm so lucky."

No comments:

Post a Comment