Thursday, January 7, 2016

The Worst Date (Chapter 2)

                The next day, the school day ended, freeing all of the teenagers who desired strongly to get out of the "prison". The girls took their time leaving. Four of them met up and made their way to find Debra by heading for where her locker was. They found her there, stuffing books into her backpack. They stopped and stared until Andrea called her name to grab attention from her.
                "Debra!"
                Debra turned her head. "Oh, hello, my friends." She zipped up her bag. "I heard some sparkly spectacular news I'd like to share with you."
                "What is it?" asked Madeline. "Is it sparkly spectacular?"
                Debra put on her backpack and began walking with her friends. She started:
                "Well, I was speaking to Drake today and he told me that he didn't want to come over my house."
                "Why is that good?" asked Lizzie.
                "Because he then said that he wanted to pick me up from it so he could take me to dinner."
                "Oh, sparkly spectacular!"
                "He asked you out on a date?" asked Madeline.
                "Yepperino. To be honest with you girls, I had my doubts because I thought he didn't like me in that way. But all I had to do was believe in myself and--"
                She was interrupted by her friend, Kyle, a male of Asian descent with purple dyed hair and wearing a black motorcycle jacket, who stopped right in front of her. The girls stopped when Debra stopped.
                "Hey, Debra," he said.
                "Oh, hi, Kyle," Debra greeted back. "How is it hanging?"
                "My club is having a poetry slam over the weekend and I would like it if you came."
                "Oh, I'm honored, Kyle, but I have plans this weekend."
                "You don't think you'll be able to make it?"
                "No, I'm really sorry. Maybe next time."
                The girls walked past Kyle who just stood there and sighed out of disappointment.
                "So where are you and Drake going to go?" asked Madeline.
                "Drake recommended Red Lobster," Debra replied.
                "I heard there are actual red lobsters at that place," shared Lizzie.
                "Yes, Lizzie, yes."
                "What are you going to wear?" asked Andrea.
                "I don't know. Something like what I have on?" Debra was wearing a white poncho, ripped blue jeans and cowboy boots.
                "Debbie, it's Red Lobster," reminded Madeline. "Not Red Rodeo."
                "And while you're at the restaurant, you should order an expensive meal and see if he pays for it," said Lizzie.
                "Why would he pay for my meal?" questioned Debra. "I can pay for it myself. And the money I have, my meal's not gonna be expensive."
                "Oh, my God, Debra," Madeline faced her hands to the sides of her face as if she was going to touch her temples.
                "Have you been on a dinner date before?" asked Skye.
                "I've been on plenty of casual dates," answered Debra.
                "Hold up, chica," said Andrea. "You're telling us that you never gone out with a boy to a place where you had to wear suits and dresses?"
                "No. Never."
                "Girl, bye."
                "We have to teach you how to go on this date," said Madeline.
                "Girls, it's a date," said Debra. "I don't think I have to be taught how to go on one. If Drake sees the free spirit in me every day, then can't I be that for our date?"
                "Because sometimes, you have to be something you're not. That's just life."
                "But you guys said I don't have to ever change."
                "And we mean that. But when it comes to dates, now and then, you got to trade the pants for a dress."
                "And wear heavier makeup," added Andrea.
                "And put padding in your bra," said Skye, as a joke.
                "Guys, stop," Debra ordered. "You're all freaking me out. Now I'm overwhelmed."
                "Then breathe," commanded Madeline. "Listen, if you need help going on this date, then we'll be there for you."
                "Honestly, I just want Lizzie to help me out."
                "Why?" asked Andrea.
                "Because she'll make it more fun."
                "So you're saying we're not fun?" questioned Madeline.
                "No, of course you guys are fun. But Skye is going to make this all scary and I know you two are going to take it very seriously. Lizzie doesn't take much things seriously."
                "Yay, I'm not serious!" Lizzie cheered.
                "See that? That's fun."
                "I can be fun, too," said Madeline. She paused before uttering blandly, "Yay."
                "That 'yay' wasn't fun."

                "Well, this is not a 'yay' contest. Alright, Debra?"

No comments:

Post a Comment