Sunday, January 17, 2016

Boyfriends Are Not Tests (Chapter 4)

When lunch was over, Andrea texted her boyfriend, Marty, that she wanted to talk to him quickly after school. He received the text and agreed. When school ended, the two met up on the second floor by the corner of the hallway near the exit. Andrea was nervous; Marty had no idea what was coming to him.
"Hey, babe," said Marty.
"Hi," responded Andrea.
"What did ya want to 'tawk' about?"
"Uh, this is hard to say but--"
"Before you tell me, my buddy, Cheddar, is having a lil' 'pahty'. Do you think you'll make it?"
"No, I can't make it to your party. Marty... I think that we should see other people."
Marty paused. "In what way do you mean that?"
"I mean that I'm breaking up with you."
"What?! Why? I thought everything was goin' good."
"It was."
"Then why are you breaking up with me?"
"Because I haven't been honest with you. I've been seeing someone else."
"For how long?"
"A week or two after we hung out."
"What's his name?"
"Kevin... Spacey. He doesn't go to this school."
"Hmm, he sounds like an actor. How can you do this to me?"
"I wasn't thinking. I just got tangled up in all these feelings and did the most selfish thing I could do in my life. I'm sorry. You don't have to forgive me but I just wanted to let you know." Andrea took off her gold chain bracelet. "You can take this back."
"Oh! Why are you giving it back?"
"Because I thought you would want it back."
"But now it's official!"
"I'm sorry, do you want to stay together?"
"No. I'm mad at you. As a matter of fact, I should be the one breaking up with you."
"Fine. Then break up with me."
"No! You already did it!"
"Okay. Then let's get back together so you can break up with me."
"No, it's not the same. You already did it so you can't take it back."
"What do you want me to do then?"
"Nuthin'. Just nuthin'. Give me this." Marty snatched the jewelry out of his ex-girlfriend's hand. "I'm-a give this to a honey who won't turn out to be an A-bomb."
Marty marched past Andrea who had a look of remorse. She looked down and played with the sleeves of her jean jacket until she felt Kevin sneak up behind her a minute later.
"Hey," he said when Andrea turned around. "I heard everything."
"You did?" she asked.
"Yep. Now we can be together." Kevin cupped Andrea's cheeks with the palms of his hands and leaned down to kiss her. But she turned her head and resisted. "What's the matter?" he asked.
"I can't do this anymore."
"What do you mean? Yes, you can. Marty is out of the picture."
"Yeah, and now you have to be. Do you know how messed up it is to leave somebody for someone else? Especially when that somebody doesn't deserve it? I did something evil behind Marty's back and I did that evil with you. I was supposed to quit you a long time ago and now is a better time than ever to do so. Sorry, Kevin, but it is what's right."
"You know, when I told you I loved you, Andrea, I meant it."
"So did I. But sometimes, if you love something, let it go."
"Well, I guess this is goodbye."
"I guess it is."
"See you at science."
Kevin turned around and walked away deep into the hall. Andrea just stood there, watching him as he never turned his head once. She then looked down at her wrist and clicked her teeth.
"Man, if I knew Marty was going to buy me a dope bracelet, I would have never cheated on him."

No comments:

Post a Comment